Boat tent

Ken_Potts

So here's what I've been working on lately.  There's still lots of cutting and sewing to do.  I have to do some fancy stuff to make a bug-proof seal around the coaming, the seats, and the bilges.  I also have to add the roll-up vinyl windows to keep the rain out (okay, to keep most of the rain out) and the roll-up curtains.

I fully intended to post pictures of the whole build process but I've lost some of them.  I'll post an earlier pic or two if people would like to see them and I will definitely post pics of the finished product.  Those of you who are coming to the B and B meet this month won't need pics because I'm hoping to sleep on the boat  :)

post-402-129497677479_thumb.jpg

That's a terrific idea, Ken. Very similar to an idea I've been working up in my head, except that I was thinking the tent poles would need to run down to the coaming. Very clever to lift the roof on the sprit, instead, so that the walls can be more vertical for better clearance/roominess inside.

What sort of fabric did you select? Regular nylon treated with a spray, or did you opt for something more high-tech like a Gore-text or other water-repellant fabric?

I'll look forward to seeing your design at the B&B meet if we make it. (Still contingent on our local gas crisis, but it seems we may finally be in the clear as our pumps are now flowing and the prices are dropping again.)

Ken, that looks absolutely wonderful!  Very professionally sewn.  I am falling in love with open boat cruising in the south mainly because permanent cabins seem to trap heat making sleeping hard.  Your tent just looks like a wonderful place to spend an evening listening to nature.

I made a dodger so that I can overnight on my 12' "Little Gem" and have taken a couple of trips and spent several nights nice and snug.  Though I will admit to a few uncomfortable stormy nights being tossed like a pair of socks in a washer at the Cedar Keys Messabout but that wasn't my tent or boat's fault.  My dodger is made so that I can sail with it up in place in case of rain though I haven't given that a try yet.

One needed addition to make boat-camping fun is some sort of cover for your open area of your cockpit primarily to keep it dry of dew.  Nothing worse than to crawl out of a nice and cozy boat tent just to sit in a puddle of cold dew.  Or, to begin the day sailing with a cold and wet bottom.  Here was the solution I whipped up for my boat and it made a huge difference on a recent cruise.  It is a simple boom tent but with two 5'6" sticks with nails in the end holding the cover out.  Bungee cords hook onto the nails and cleats on the deck of my boat making setup a minute long affair.  Maybe not something you can use on your boat but effective for those with booms.

boomcover.jpg

Wes,

Thanks for the compliment.  When I started thinking seriously about the exact layout of the tent I was also going to attach the poles at the coaming.  I was thinking of doing a dome tent sort of thing where the poles cross over each other.  The sprit-boom supported roof came about after I got stumped on where to begin designing the real tent.  Someone else actually suggested using the sprit-boom to support it (I can't remember who at the moment).  The task was daunting enough that I got some fabric to play with and mocked up a roof.  Then I could see how to cut the sides and back of the tent.  It worked better for me to do the design in stages.

The fabric is 1.9oz rip-stop nylon with a urethane coating on one side.  I didn't think there would be an advantage to going with anything higher-tech since I'm not sure I'll be able to get all the seams sealed anyway...

The netting is no-see-um netting.  The zippers are plastic #10 YKK (quite a bit heavier-duty than necessary).  The walls are attached to the coaming with snaps.  The hem at the bottom of the walls has strips of 1/32" x 1" plastic for stiffness and strength (the snaps are installed right through the plastic).

I have reinforced the seams with a strip of 3/4" Grosgrain ribbon and it looks like it'll be sturdy enough.  Time will tell.

I hope you make it to the meet.

Scott,

The seams of my tent benefit greatly from the 50 ft rule...

I like your camping setup (and the boat of course).  I've been wondering if I'll end up wanting a cover for the back of the cockpit.  It sounds like it will be on my project list eventually.

Thanks Paul,

I'm bringing the tent to the meet so you'll be able to take a look then if not before.  Do you need any netting for Dawn Patrol (for the ports or hatch or whatever)?

Konrad,

The no see um netting is from here

http://www.skeeta.com/html/netting/mosquito_no_see_um_netting.htm

The fabric and ribbon and zippers are from here

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/

The snaps that attach the tent to the coaming and the plastic strips to reinforce the hem are from here (although you might well be able to get them cheaper elsewhere)

http://www.mcmaster.com/

I can't remember if I got the velcro from Seattle Fabrics or McMaster Carr so comparison shop.

The 1952 Singer sewing machine comes from Grandma (she's out of machines right now so you'll have to try somebody else's Grandma).  The fabric and netting is pretty lightweight so a high power machine isn't necessary.  There were a couple of places like the zipper end where I had to advance the machine by hand.

Let me toss something in here.

Laura recently made an awning for our sailboat. The crosspieces to hold it up needed to be just over 6 feet long, but we have absolutely no place aboard where we could stow 6 foot long rods. SO she bought 1/2 inch PVC pipes, cut then to HALF length, put caps on the outer ends and a coupling in the center. everything is glued but one end of one coupling. We can dismount the rods leaving them inside the fabric tubes of the awning, fold the entire setup in half and easily stow a THREE foot long bundle. The ends have grommets inserted and she used bungee cords, with one end cut off and knotted above the grommet to hold it all down

Food for thought.

Here's a picture-

post-36-129497677634_thumb.jpg

Paul,

Give me a call about the netting (you probably want it before the Roanoke Island trip right?)

Charlie,

Good looking awning.  Sounds like it breaks down in a way that means you don't have to keep track of all the parts.

Maligno,

Here's a photo of a window with the vinyl and curtain installed.  The way I'm doing it isn't the best solution but it allowed me to put some of the work off until now...

post-402-129497677643_thumb.jpg

This is one heck of a thread!!!!! You have out done yourself with creating bullet proof covers for those low flying F=15s with mylar wings. ;D ;D I would have never guessed you were such a semstress and a boat builder all in one. The rest of you guys done good too!

Hey Oyster!  Are you coming to the B and B meet?  That's where everybody gets a close look at the tent.  After that there shouldn't be too much praise of my skills as a seamstress  ;D

F-15 is a good description of those critters you've got flying around down in your neighborhood.  I still wake up in a cold sweat sometimes remembering that first trip I took to Shackleford Banks...

Hey Oyster!  Are you coming to the B and B meet?  That's where everybody gets a close look at the tent.  After that there shouldn't be too much praise of my skills as a seamstress  ;D

F-15 is a good description of those critters you've got flying around down in your neighborhood.  I still wake up in a cold sweat sometimes remembering that first trip I took to Shackleford Banks...

Well you see its like this, I don't got one of those official designs but have been invited to sail on one of dims. ;) Its possible that I may brave the elements and crash it. But at this point, life is a bit up staging boats right now. This year seems to be creating some behavior thats not truely what I would have expected from people with a common bond, making me rethink some notions that boats and the gathering of like minds together is not in the best interest for me. I have never been known as a soft spoken guy you know when confronted and my boat or boats are surely an extention of that too. Thats all that I will say right now.

As far as your tent job and workmanship, I consider this to not really be an issue. Anything that will keep you from being chewed alive will be an improvement, which also extends your cruising times making the boat more year round. This is an important feature and would be for me anyway. I also like brown head wimmin and non=alcoholic beer too while some like redheads, something that those critters will also create too. But those guys seem to leave me alone now, seeking out that new and imported meat for fine dining. They have found that they can no long chew through my skin.

You're invited to sail on my official boat too (though it would be great to see popsickle on the water) - The advantage of sailing on Southbound is that you'll be able to see all of the pretty boats in the proper perspective (as they pass to windward and leave us behind)  ;D  Although if the mass gathering (or the timing) is not your bag I hope to see you before too long.

Do you mean to tell me that if I endure enough of the vampire onslaught they'll leave me alone when my skin thickens?!?  I've been employing entirely the wrong strategy by being careful to only be down east when the wind was blowing when really I should have embraced the attacks...  I'm just defeating the whole purpose by keeping my city-slicker thin skin  ;)

Maligno,

That tent looks great!  You're going to have all the comforts of home.  Keep us posted on your progress.

I decided to use the clear vinyl because I haven't actually slept aboard boats very often.  I have the tendency to sit bolt upright in the middle of the night wondering if some battleship is bearing down on me.  Having the clear vinyl keeps me from having to stick my head out in the rain three or four times a night. ;D