CS 20 #35 Progress

Motivated by the pictures of CS20 #31, I had to post a picture of my progress.

My shop or better term...lack of shop (tarped carport) has limited my desire to start encapsulating the plywood with epoxy. I have been using the bare minimum of epoxy for structural aspects...waiting for less humidity and warmer temperatures for large scale epoxy work.

So I have cut a lot of wood. Here is where I am at as of now. Nice seeing other peoples progress!

Guest ricardo de oliveira

Joe,

I don't know if you're using a digital camera or scanning regular prints, but, if it's not asking too much, could you take (and post) a close up picture of your hatch framing?

Thanks a lot,

Ricardo

Ricardo,

Lets try a couple links first.

http://groups.msn.com/BuildingtheCoreSound20/construction.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=19

http://groups.msn.com/BuildingtheCoreSound20/construction.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=32

Let me know if you have trouble getting to the links.

You can also just push the web site link at the bottom of the page to see the whole site.

Joe

The MSN community sites work great as a place to keep people advised of your progress. More people should investigate using them for boat projects, especially since they allow you up to 3mb of photo space.

Are you using Okume plywood? I'm getting close to buying the 1/4" Okume for my Spindrift I want to build.

Guest ricardo de oliveira

Now I see it was already online...

Simple and strong. I was tempted by one of those plastic things but there's no comparison.

Thank you.

Ricardo

Frank,

I am using Aquatek...but if I were building a smaller boat and the cost differential was not such a large percentage of the overall boat cost...I would use Okoume. Its a lot lighter. Aquatek is basically 6566 meranti. If you go to hydrotek, its 1088 meranti. But you still have the weight issue and you are nearing the cost of Okoume. On my boat the cost differential was $500 vs $1,000 (Okoume/aquatek).

The MSN sites are nice. I am somewhat mobile (long story that I wont go into) and the web based feature makes it easy for me to keep in touch anywhere. Then for $20 a year you can upgrade and you get both more e mail storage and attachment size but also a lot more web site space. Seems like you get 3-4 times the free space. I wish I knew enough to make it look less generic.

Joe

The plywood looks great. Judging from the progress so far, I think you'll be very pleased with the finished boat.

The MSN sites will accept HTML if you know how to code in it, although there is a learning curve for that. And I know what a constraint time can be to learning something that may not be all that useful in the rest of life. The site looks good, though, and you're right ... the pictures tell the story. I wasn't aware of the price of the upgrade; I knew they had a way to upgrade, and at $20 a year its certainly reasonable.