Amazon Sharpeners on Sale

Frank Hagan

Amazon sent me an email ... they are diabolical over there ... with some deals on sharpeners.  I went ahead and bought the "younger cousin" to the Tormek sharpener that I could never justify buying (the Tormek ends up around $600 with jigs).  The Scheppach Tiger 2000 is $97.69 with free shipping:

41HKPM4J6EL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

At that price, I couldn't pass it up.  Its not a Tormek, but honestly, my time in my shop is so limited that I'll probably never wear this one out.

I almost went with the Worksharp 2000 for $99:

41DMEzDjmTL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

But I thought I might want to buy one of the Jet, Tormek or Scheppach jigs for knife and scissors sharpening later on (the Worksharp 2000 will only work on chisels and plane irons up to 1 5/8" wide).  The jigs are expensive right now ... about $40 for the "long knife" jig, so I'll have to be on the lookout for sales on them.

• 1 month later...

Looks like the Sheppach Tiger2000 is once again on sale ... this time for $105:

I bought this when it was on sale last time, and I like it a lot.  I had a minor problem assembling the support into the base (it has a small bump on one of the legs that prevented it from going into the hole easily).  This is not the same as a Tormek that is about 5 times as much, but it works on the same principle, and I've found it easy to sharpen chisels and plane irons with it.

• 10 months later...

I bought a Worksharp 3000 last year and, at least for chisels, it works very very well.  I normally tend to make them duller when working with stones, but I can put an edge on a chisel that I can shave with in 2-3 min with the WS3000.  Haven't tried to sharpen anything else with it yet.

Fred

I've heard good things about the Worksharp, and one of them is that its a dry process so you have much less mess.  Even with a sharpening jig, I could never get the hang of sharpening with stones or wet/dry sandpaper.  I like the Sheppach sharpener quite a bit, but it does make a mess.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a Worksharp 3000 last year and, at least for chisels, it works very very well.  I normally tend to make them duller when working with stones, but I can put an edge on a chisel that I can shave with in 2-3 min with the WS3000.  Haven't tried to sharpen anything else with it yet.

Fred

I just noticed this one Fred. Could I take a look at your Worksharp 3000 sometime?

Greg.