Looks like Ike will visit Texas in a few days

Greg Luckett

I have been looking at that Weather Underground site that Charlie provided last week.  It is a nice one.  Thanks Charlie.

It looks like Ike is headed towards Matagorda Bay at this point.  Two of the projected computer models show it hitting close.  Earlier today the projections were bulls eye on Galveston Bay.  I hope it just stalls out in the Gulf and turns into a rain storm, and then moving over Texas to refill all those empty lakes.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll be beginning the boarding up process tomorrow. Teahni will get moved to the strom anchorage on Thursday if needed. We'll be gassing vehicles and buying some extra fuel tomorrow also.

It's being moved further south though. The consensus of models are now (2200) showing Corpus Christi as ground zero. That's 90 miles south of us and about a 140 mile southerly shift since 1700. IF it moves fast once it gets into the gulf it'll probably go even further south. If it slows, it has the potential of turning back north. A faster moving storm also doesn't intensify as much. So we are hoping for a real fast mover moving due west.

Heads up Charlie!  It certainly warrants watching closely.  The conditions are favorable for intensification.  I agree that over the gulf wouldn't be a good place for it to slow down right now, wherever it ultimately ends up.  I know all the boarding up and preparations are a real pain when the storm misses,....but I sure hope its a false alarm for you anyway.  Keep in touch...we are worried about y'all.

Charlie,

I just saw that your area was under a mandatory evacuation.  Have you and Laura left yet?  Keep in touch and let me know if there is anything that can be done to help. 

My folks in Alvin are just hunkering down, thinking it will pretty well miss them, though they are still in the watch zone.  One of my brothers is there from San Marcos to stay with them.

Good luck with Ike and all that entails,

Greg.

The last updates today from the NHC haven't been good news for the Matagorda Bay area... the 10 am one moved the forecast strike zone almost up the middle.  The 4pm update forecast the intensity to increase to category 4 status prior to landfall. 

I'm sure Charlie is up to his ears with things to do right now, but like you Greg, I hope he gets a minute to let us know that he and Laura will be evacuating.

I hope your folks in Alvin are OK too...they'll still get some nasty weather. 

House is all boarded up except for the doors. Laura's studio is almost done, store room done, my shop has two windows left to board up. Vehicles are packed, fueled and we have 19 extra gallons of gas.

EARLY in the morning Tehani will be moved out of the marina into a small adjacent bay and put on four anchors, all with chain. Best we can do- in a north wind the marina would be a death trap.

Laura spent several hours last night stripping the boat, so all our stuff is off of it except the main sail- THAT comes off tomorrow after she is anchored.

As soon as Tehani is anchored and we can dinghy back, we'll be outta here- hopefully well before noon.

HOPEFULLY the storm will move slightly north of here, which would mitigate the storm surge. They are talking a possibility of 12- 15 feet. THAT we can live without. Winds are one thing, water quite another.

Tom- our house floor is 12 .5 feet above the bay, but the shop floor is only 10, as is Laura's studio floor.

Charlie,

I hope you and Laura fare well.  I hope everybody does.

It seems to me (I'm not a meteorologist) that major hurricanes tend to be unstable as far as intensity goes so I hope Ike makes landfall after a rapid drop in intensity.

And I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Tehani doesn't see a big North wind.

Any way you look at it some people's lives are about to be ruined.  **** (expletive deleted).

My parents in Alvin seem to have weathered Ike ok.  One of their neighbors ran power to the refrigerator and a fan from his generator and they hunkered down in a central room all night.  Trees down on the property, one on the patio on top of the table, flood water lapping up the drive way, then receded.  Power has been out since about 9PM last night when the transformers started blowing.  No idea when they might have power and AC again.

I hope Charlie and Laura and their home are ok.  I am anxious to hear from them.  Of course, I also hope everyone else is ok too.  I think my cousin in El Lago may have lost his home to storm surge but have not heard from him yet.  We have family and friends all over from Galveston to Conroe, many along the bay areas hardest hit by the surges.  Now we wait and pray some more.

Thanks Larry! :)

The turn of events here has surprised me.  I figured on a trip to Texas to help my family and friends next week but now I do not know.

I may lose internet at the house here in Michigan as there is a tree laying on the phone line now, stretching it to its max.  Raining here for days and now Ike will visit in a couple of hours...too much rain for here.  My basement is oozing water up through the concrete floor, the creek in the back is full and running fast, eroding the land at the back corner of the house's foundation.  I guess that it is true: "when it rains, it pours".  Nothing to do now but laugh and go on.  I am entirely grateful and happy that our folks and friends in Texas have survived. :)

Ike blew through here this afternoon, but really was only windy for an hour or so, and not that strong.  The rain here, that started before Ike came ashore, has continued but is finally down to an occasional shower instead of steady, drenching, pouring.  The weather before Ike was not "tropical" like Ike's weather is, but when cold fronts come through here and the wind blows up the wet Gulf air, we get rain.  It was just a lot more than ever recorded before.  Hmmm, come to think of it, Ike improved our weather here.  Less rain.  This is really wierd. :o

I have an almost overwhelming desire to load up the RV with supplies and tools and head home to Texas.

I called and left a phone msg at Charlie & Laura's this afternoon but have yet to hear back from them.

Just returned Greg's call.

Here in Port Lavaca, we got a total clean miss from Ike. Not even any rain and top winds were only 45 or so.

Tehani is back in her slip with no damage what so ever.

We are pooped

Others were not so fortunate. Here's a set of pictures from Baytown Texas, just inshore from Galveston up at the head of the bay. Notice the boats are all still in the slips, only they are on dry land.. A friend of mine kept his boat there.

http://www.houstonpress.com/slideshow/view/142746/

Ray, Charlie may confirm what I am saying. 

I grew up around Galveston and Seabrook.  The biggest reason is that there is no way to get that many boats out of the water and moved far enough inland in time.  The storms come in way too fast for the available equipment to deal with it.  The second reason is that most folks are busy trying to deal with their homes and business properties as well as the boats.  Last, and this is just my opinion from observing, most of the boats are rarely sailed or used anyway.  They can stay in the water year round there.  Owners do not have trailers or jack stands or frames to set the boat on.  The wind would knock them off or the high water would as well.