Recent trip

Rob Blackburn

We did a 3 day camp cruise up an inland waterway here in Oz a few weeks back. By our standards it was cold but we had a great time and enjoyed the sailing.

Here are some links to a simple short movie made with the digital camera. Two formats,

Apple

http://snipr.com/3odh1-abcjdk

Windows

http://snipr.com/3odo7-eb64vx

These will download the movie in a zip file.

Rob

Thanks for the video. I have noticed your boat among the picture collection that Carla sends out with the plans, and it is indeed a beautiful craft. Was it built exactly to spec, ie, are the side decks "standard," or wider than the plans call for? Also, since you've apparently had her sailing for 4 or 5 years, how have things held up? Any notable maintenance or repair issues? 

sorry about the delay...

How has the boat held up... Good really, except when we hit the corner of a pontoon and punched a hole. Also when I towed it out from under my house and knocked the transom off because I left the engine on the transom and it hit the bottom of the bathroom.

The finishes have been good and bad. The waterbased epoxy paint was a matt finish and was never much good in places. Eric had a lot of trouble spraying it. It also does not bond well to the old coating inside.. The same with the waterbased clear finish.

I am sure the vendor/maker would tell me why it should have worked but we have tried and it has been hard.

I have just cracked the mizzen floor fitting which is made from timber and epoxied. Suspect the mast rocking on the gallows whilst trailing on the road. Am going to put a stainless fitting in there instead.

Otherwise it is good.

The boat is nearly standard, Eric curved the seat lockers to follow the line of the coaming better and we raised the aft deck a bit to allow more storage, but not all the way in the plans. Happy with that.

The music was  a Neil Finn song .. 6 Months in a Leaky Boat sung by Little Birdy... Album... She Will Have Her Way

We launched at Southport and had the first night at Jumpin Pin Bar and then the next two nights at Caniapa Point on N Straddy .. We planned to go to Manly on the last day but the wind which had been on the nose for most of the weekend gave up the ghost so we motored half way home and got the car.

Rob

Nice video Rob.

What stands out to me (other than the cool music) is how fast the boat is moving relative to what appears to be relatively light wind. That looks to be 5 knots plus boat speed in light air and not even working hard (dead level and sheets hanging loose).

If that is typical for these boats and rigs, time for me to upgrade to a cat ketch! :)

We launched at Southport and had the first night at Jumpin Pin Bar and then the next two nights at Caniapa Point on N Straddy

Even though I live here I haven't been that way for a few years- always trying to find somewhere further away/more exotic. Just goes to show how silly human nature is.

Here are a couple of photos from my last trip that way...the first is at the Bedroom near Jumpin Pin (showing a Wallaby on Pandanus Island) and the second the beach at Canaipa.

post-1007-129497677184_thumb.jpg

post-1007-12949767719_thumb.jpg