Trials Over - Core Sound 17 Passed With Flying Colors!

Joe

Just back from not so sunny Florida with my CS 17. Did manage to get in some sailing and results are SUPER! The CS is all I could have wanted and much more. I was very impressed with every aspect of the boat, from it's total predictibility to the ease with which it sails. Graham has a real winner here, no doubt about it. Sure, there are a few things that I will tweak a bit, but none relate to the design of the boat, that is without fault.

I have never had a maiden voyage on a new boat that went smoothly, and this was no different. I drove in six hours of heavy rain to jacksonvile but launched in clear skys the next day. All went well until time to put the centerboard down - it would not move. I removed the top of the centerboard case, which was calked and painted, and tried to force the board down, no luck. The rain had caused the board to swell. Even though the board was built to specs, covered with cloth and epoxy per the plans, it still swelled and would not drop. I pulled the pin, and managed to get the board out from the top. A quick trip to Home Depot where I bought a small belt sander I had been wanting and I went to work on the board. It took several trial fits, but I got the board down to the size needed and reinstalled it. From there on, everything went great. I tried the boat with my 8 HP Yamaha, it flew. It quickly got up on a plane even though it squatted a bit and threw some water from about midships, but it ran under perfect control at an estimated 12-15 mph. At hull speed, it was quiet, mannerly and will make an excellent picnic launch . The weather was mostly gloomy for pictures, but I am attaching one just to prove the "Mary Edith" really exists. The next month will be spent resurfacing my board, painting my masts, and putting the final color coat and varnish on the boat. All ready for the season to begin...

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

Joe,

The Small Boat Get Together is always the first weekend in May in Cedar Key Fl. There is absolutely NO organization. Lots of boats and beautiful places to sail to!

The Island Place is a bit expensive and their little beach has small rocks and oysters, but it seem to be the center of action.

I've been staying at the Park Place and leaving my boat anchored in sight just off the public beach.

The Faraway Inn is also nice.

Oh yah Joe, Congrats!!!!!

Looks like you did a great job!

Just found out I won't be able to attend the Cedar Key event this year. The Sea Pearlers won't know how to act if there isn't a CS17 sailing past them.

If you can possibly make it, don't pass it up. You'll have a great time.