weekender

katecirk

The following threads are the most recent ones I have seen dealing with trying to get the plans:

http://www.messing-about.com/forums/index.php?topic=6179.0

http://www.messing-about.com/forums/index.php?topic=5942.0

Seems like, since the boats have so many fans,  the Stevensons would let someone handle the plans for them if they don't want to fool with it any more.

We have a lot of designers that hang around these boards.  Anyone ever considered a new design that keeps the clippered bow and the "little pirate ship" look we all love on the topsides......and maybe put a different bottom on it ;).  I think plans offering a design like that would have a line forming to buy it.

A stitch and glue design with a wider transom for more cockpit room, inspired by the Friendship Sloop, could still be a flat bottomed boat and not a direct copy of the Stevenson's Weekender.  All boats have design elements "stolen" from other boats, so having a similar look ... stolen from the Friendship, after all ... would not be out of bounds. 

G,day Frank, Johno here from down under,mate I'me a computer twit so you may have not got my last attempt to contact you re the wooden blocks you have on your weekender.Every time I look at the pictures I drool.How do you make them? particularly how do you do that rope strop around them?I would love to make some for my weekender,I reckon they give a truly authentic look to an already beautiful boat(slight bias)My weekender is now almost ready to turn over for bottom work,I'me carving a figurehead of a dolphin,still not quite right,will post photos soon as I can get the missus to help.I hope to get Whisky Echo Tango in the water by summer and hopefully get some good sailing time over autumn,magic time of the year at this end of the world.Look foward to hear from you regards Johno

We have a lot of designers that hang around these boards.  Anyone ever considered a new design that keeps the clippered bow and the "little pirate ship" look we all love on the topsides......and maybe put a different bottom on it ;).  I think plans offering a design like that would have a line forming to buy it.

I'm not a designer, but I have been working (with others) on creating a trailarable friendship/weekender design.  It takes elements from the friendship sloop, the weekender and a Duck Trap Wherry.

280567802_665032a512_o.jpg

Here is a thread at the Wooden Boat Forum I started on this.

http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2&order=desc&page=4

The design is in the phase where I'm working on final drawings.  I'm slow about doing this and work on it in spurts.  Eventually I will finsih the design.

Chad

As Frank said,  I don't think it would be out of bounds at all for a similar design, adapted for a different construction method such as stitch and glue.  Most designs are adaptations of others.  It keeps us from having to reinvent the wheel.  Just keep the stuff you like and change the stuff you don't like.  Remember the weekender that Chris Gerkin built?  He adapted stitch and glue construction and some other mods mimicking the friendship sloop topsides.  By the time he got through with it, it was something other than a weekender per se.  It looked good too!....where did he go off to?

I like what you've put together so far cs.  A similar but chined bottom adapted for s & g and the centerboard is kind of what I had been thinking, but only because that is my preferred building method. 

G,day Frank, Johno here from down under,mate I'me a computer twit so you may have not got my last attempt to contact you re the wooden blocks you have on your weekender.Every time I look at the pictures I drool.How do you make them? particularly how do you do that rope strop around them?I would love to make some for my weekender,I reckon they give a truly authentic look to an already beautiful boat(slight bias)My weekender is now almost ready to turn over for bottom work,I'me carving a figurehead of a dolphin,still not quite right,will post photos soon as I can get the missus to help.I hope to get Whisky Echo Tango in the water by summer and hopefully get some good sailing time over autumn,magic time of the year at this end of the world.Look foward to hear from you regards Johno

Hi Mitchell - not sure I'm the right guy! I didn't build any wooden blocks on my Weekender (I ended up using Harken and another commercial block manufacturer from France for my blocks).  Phil Gowens did, and he has a page on it at Phil's Weekender Boat:

boat0288.jpg

Hello Mitchell.

There is link where are intructions to wooden blocks.

I made them to my weekender and they worked well. I used oak and sinked them to thinned tar. They have been two summers outside in sun and rain and I have to replace some of them with harkens blocks because of cracking in this spring, but the rest have survived quite good!

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/02/articles/woodenblocks/woodenblocks.htm

post-1304-129497676833_thumb.jpg

post-1304-12949767684_thumb.jpg

Chad,

Have you talked to a gentleman by the name of Paul Ricelli?

I think he was designing a boat for Craig Gleason that sounds like it would fit the bill.

I don't remember the design name but it has more than caught my attention by the drawings.

If you do a search on the byyb forums i think you can find the drawings.

Cheers,

Dave G.