Do you get "the look"?

cdunc

I recently ordered the plans to build a Spindrift 12 and I am in the process of gathering materials.  I have mentioned to some of my friends and coworkers that I am going to build a boat, which is when I get "the look".  I am not sure how to describe it.  They seem to look at me as if I just told them I am building a rocket in my back yard and that I am planning to go to the moon. 

BTW, the wife did not give me the look, she just thinks I am crazy.  ;D

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced "the look".

Craig

Yea...my wife is still a little skeptical of the whole thing, however she came out to the garage while I was working on my Weekender last night and commented, "that looks like a boat"...  Yep!  That's the idea!

The funniest look I've gotten so far was from a West Marine employee when I was looking for some glue.  He asked what I needed it for and I say I'm building a boat.  He's like, "a what?"...uh, a boat!  He just shrugged his shoulders and shook his head as if what I was suggesting was impossible!

Guess I'm lucky...the folks I work with are mechanics and fabricators and McGyvorizers and the only comments are "Dad built a few" or Gramps used to have such and such that he built" or "I have..."  Only the females tend to raise an eyebrow but not very high and not for very long. Mostly it is "How's the boat building comin' or what are you building now?"

Steve

There will be a dozen or so things you hear time and time again ... "You can buy a used boat for less, and you don't have to build it!" was one I got from the West Marine guys.  I would look at them and say "Yeah, you're right, but then, I wouldn't be able to build it!"

When you launch, its a completely different story.

Yeah, I got "the look" when I was building the boat in Nebraska. Seems they all think a guy would have to be crazy to build a boat.

Down here in LA, I get the envious look of awe that I can build a boat and they can't. Then I get the "Do you know old Bubba down the road? He built a boat once."

It is really interesting hearing all of those comments. Never ceases to amaze me. LOL  ;D

Steve

I think the funniest one I can recall is this one.

I was in my shop working on a boat for a customer. This was when my shop was sharing a building with a sailboat dealer.

Guy was up front at the dealership looking at a boat, then wandered back to my shop. Looked over what I was doing, asked me why I was building the boat.

I told him it was being custom built for someone.

So he asks-"Why doesn't he have a factory make one for him?

?????

Like, in a factory they have a big bird that just craps them out???

I haven't even started my project yet...and I'm already getting the 'look'.  My coworkers think I'm already crazy for just liking boats to  begin with (hence the nickname I've been given of 'boatpuke').  Now they feel they are completely justified in there analysis of me when I mentioned I was actualy going to build one.

Any yes, I've been given the standard line of "wouldn't it be easier to just buy one".  But I just quietly smile and think, "Yes, it probably would...but then again...You just don't understand!"  ;D

I like the fact that Ray said "Doodness doesn't count nearly as much as easy and quick" and everyone agreed!

Yeah,  but have you uttered a profundity that other chose to quote???

Just to please Frank I went and fixed my typos.

I do know how to spell,  but my fingers are awkward.

You're just too far north ... you're just now beginning to thaw out, and colder weather is just around the corner!