Progress Update

Derek

Looking really good, Derek!

I noticed you didn't cut the holes in the forward bulkhead, and I was trying to think why they are there. They do allow you to put longer things in the cabin, but there isn't much you would have on board that couldn't fit in the space between that bulkhead and the portion under the seats that is accessible from the cabin. And it might make it look nicer without the holes.

The holes in that bulkhead also serve to ventilate the forepeak space. Every cavity in the boat should be ventilated to prevent meldew and rot in an enclosed space. The area behind the seats, too.

It would look nice and ventilate well to install a couple of vents, or grates in that bulkhead. It also may be handy sometimes to be able to reach in there to get something from inside the cabin without going up on deck.

My Weekender Site:

www.jtservices.net/boat.htm

Good point High C. Actually, I did not want the holes that were spec'd on the plans, and was considering cutting in an opening for one or two 5" or 6" deck plates. But the grating idea is pretty good as well. Will have to toss that one around for awhile.

I had also seen a couple of mods out there where the builder use the cutout to make a door for the opening and that was a consideration also.

Nice job! This is looking good and I like seeing another Washington builder. I wonder how many builders we have in this fine state now...We should have plenty to have a get together this summer and have some sailing fun. Paul had the ldea of having a get together at Anacortes a couple of years ago and I think it would still be a good plan. I would be up for taking a trip to the coast for some sailing fun. I like the modification to the stem for attaching the bits. Keep up the fine work and before long you will have her in the water.

Looking good at this stage Derek. I would add a huge "AMEN" to Jakes statement about routing and sanding before you assemble these. Fill and seal the edges and prime first as well if possible. Just mask off the areas where you are attaching the mast box first. You'll really appreciate it later on when it is really tough to get to. :wink:

Thanks All for the tips' date=' not a one goes to waste.

Question - I had seen, can't recall where off hand, a builder that had applied 5200 I believe to all points where stringer meets ply, joiner meets ply and so on. Overkill or a good idea?[/quote']

The Stevensons have that in the video ... 5200 along all those points. I did it, and I think it took 3 of the 11 ounce tubes (and two tee shirts ... that stuff is relentless!)