Nancy's China vs Weekender

Guest r-ice

Guest r-ice

Hi, I'm new to the board.  I'm from Toronto Ontario.  I was wondering what you all would think about a new build for a newbie.  I wanted a smaller sail boat that can also be powered when there is no wind.  Which would be better Nancy's China versus the Weekender?  Which one sails better, materials cost, build time?

thanks

Weekender is easier to build for a first time boatbuilder and doesn't sail all that bad.  The Pocket Cruiser is about the same amount of effort to build but is a bigger boat and more stable despite being 2' shorter.  Each foot of beam is equivalent to 5' of length and the PC is a beamy boat.

Nancy's China would be a harder build but a more capable boat with the V bottom (acts like shock absorbers in chop), centerboard, and extra beam.  It also will be a heavier boat on the trailer, take more time to launch, and be more expensive.

Of course, the question has to be asked as to why limit yourself to these two designs?  For flatbottomed easy to build boats you should look at Michalak's designs.  For V bottomed designs consider B&B Yacht Designs.  For eye candy, look at John Welsford.  A great place to look for designs is: www.duckworksmagazine.com . 

My advice is to start small and simple both to gain experience and get out on the water in something you built.  Boatbuilding is a disease and, once infected, you can't build just one boat.  The most often mistake I see is people jumping into two complex a build and loosing energy or motivation before they have finished. 

Sigh, so many boats, so little time and money.  I have a very difficult making up my own mind. :)

My advice is to start small as this allows you to learn and finish a boat in a shorter time frame and for less money invested.  From that you could then know if taking on a larger, more expensive, more time consuming project is worth it to you.

Perhaps a B&B Spindrift or a Bolger Nymph or something along those lines?  You would gain skills and those boats can be rowed, sailed or motored.

Just some thoughts. :)

Which would be better Nancy's China versus the Weekender?  Which one sails better, materials cost, build time?

You did not say what you are building a boat for--which would help in defining the parameters of "better". But having built a Weekender, closely monitored the building of a Nancy's China and sailed a little on Nancy's, here's my random 2c:

Both are very beautiful boats in the water. Weekender is technically easier to build (if you avoid the steering wheel ;)). Nancy's is beamier than Weekender at the transom but has less useable space in the cabin because of the daggerboard case. Nancy's is also very stable and stiff because of the ballast: an adult can walk around the boat without tipping it as much as the Weekender. I find the sprit sail on Nancy's more difficult to set up and handle and it may be better to use the bermuda option or a gaff rig. Weekender may be cheaper to build because stitch-and-glue uses more epoxy. Afloat, Weekender has higher freeboard. Easier to tack Nancy's. You can drive the Weekender right up the beach; you have to pull up Nancy's board. Unfortunately, I haven't sailed Nancy's enough and we have been unable to do a one-on-one between the two boats so I can't comment much on their comparative performance on all points of sail.

If my choice were limited to these two boats, I'd also be hardput to decide.