Need new plans for fishing boat to build

timnphx

I built a Great Island Rowboat (see image) from Ducktrap boats 7-8 years ago and it was fun to build and use over the past few years.  However, now that I am older and with knee and back problems at my youthfull age of 53, I dont sit in this boat so well anymore.  My primary interest now is fly fishing, so looking for a wood boat or thin wood and fiberglass design of construction that I know I can do.  I want a 12-16 ft LOA and wider beam than my boat below (4' 4") that is real stable so can stand at time for fly casting.  My other concern is good deep or high seating (however it is defined) so my legs dont cramp or back get aching as it does with my current boat.  The rear seat in my boat is approx only 6-8 inches off the floor deck and middle seat is maybe 10-12.  I also want something with more freeboard as current is to low and near water at stern if Isit all the way in back.  I have looked at a site called Montanaboatbuilders.com tha has some really nice speciallized boats for fly fishing but yet most dont seam to have a stern for mount of a motor.  But I am unsure of boat designs that offer best stability.  I have looked at many skiff, drift and prams but which would have the stability and seating that i am asking for?  Please make suggestions.

MyBoat3.JPG

Ok i have been thinking on the lines of something original that i think would be very functional and also could be built to look fairly well in wood and unique.  There may be something out there that is similar but I don't know about it.  Here is a rough drawing of what I would like to construct.  I think I might need a lot of inputs from experienced boat builders to make it work right but i would like to give this a chance to develope.  it is sort of like a twin hull or pontoon like but joined so there is a large area in middle where one can stand or move around and fish from the seat.  I think the outer hulls will provide good stability. There is one long seat at the stern and possible some small ones near the 2 bows.  Please advise.

FishToon.JPG

I like that design ... on the plus side, it gives you less "wetted surface" so it should be easier to push through the water with a trolling motor, and it should be very stable.  The only negative I can think of is that it might be hard to re-enter if the "big one" pulls you into the water (on a smaller boat, you can grab the opposite gunwale and get into the boat without tipping it over.)  A swim ladder on the back, between the sponsons, would fix that problem. 

looking for?....length?, beam?, weight (ish)

Steve

I am thinking my LOA to be 12 to 14 ft.  I think the beam needs to be 6 to 6 1/2 ft and I would like to somewhat light but figure it would have to be on a trailer as would be to much to be a car-topper.  I downloaded a demo boat design program other day but not to knowledgeable on all the technical aspects and had to know all the deminsional info ahead of time to input to get it to display anything so could not use it.  Need to find a  program that is fairly simple.