Any Aussie Weekender builders out there?

Gregg Spies

Hi All,

Just wondering if there were any Aussie owners/builders of Weekenders out there. I have just got my plans, and will be starting the build reasonably soon, but it would be great to discuss Aussie timbers suitable for the keel, plus a possible future get together.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Greg ,this is Johno re  aussie Weekender builders . I started in June this year even though I got plans 2006.So far I have almost completed the hull only seats to install,working like a blue arsed fly to get them done today,wheel was the first thing I did then rudder box,hatch coaming,hatch all the bitts,bowsprit etc.I plan to have Whisky Echo Tango in the water by December.I live at Bittern Vic on Westernport Bay.How are you going with youre boat?Where are You? please stay in touch    regards Johno

Hi there Johnno, good to hear from you. I am located in Grafton northern NSW, so there is a fair distance between us, nearly two days (plus) travel by car to Melbourne from here.

Great minds must think alike, as I am going to do minor bits first too, with bits of ply I have left over from the kayak I built.

I plan on using Kwila (merbau) for the keel laminations, as I can get it through a local window manufacturer, and it will be straight! I think the only thing I have to do is to wash it lightly with acetone before gluing. What did you use for your keel?

I was also thinking of using exterior grade ply for above the waterline items, as marine ply prices up here kills the wallet. Did you use all marine ply, or a mixture? At under $50 per sheet of exterior grade, it beats the price of marine ply which sells up here for around $120-180 per sheet, depending on thickness.

The worst thing about starting the build is that the missus says I have to sell my big bowrider first so I have room to build the Weekender.

Ah well, but a small sacrifice to pay to start building again.

hi greg this is Johno, I like your choice of keel timber, merbau is very durable though i dont know about the red juice it seeps wether it affects fiberglass or not .Myself I used Radiata pine,its available in wide boards,is strong for its weight,will be well protected,and isn't heavy.I could't help but wonder how much ply you had left over after building that nice looking kayak?As far as ply goes I used marine ply from AWS ph0387878688 their imported Meranti marine ply I thought was quite good the price on12mm ply is $20.58 a sq met  just under $60 a sheet 6mm goes for$10.86 a sq about$32.00 a sheet It has the bs 1088 stamp and seems a quality product,give them a ring and check it out even with delivery it should be cheaper than what you quoted.I was going to work on Whisky Echo today,but its 4 deg out in the workshop and I just can't pull myself away from the woodheater.Maybe next weekend! seeya later Johno