Old timers South Sound Sailing adventure

capt jake

The first annual Old Timers South Sound sailing regatta is planned for next Thursday.  By old timers, three of us have been around since the first site that Frank put up. :) (Thank again Frank!).

Only two boats with four forum members are planning on attending!  We will have Joel, Barry, Mike Routley and myself.  Joel will get to sail in my neck of the woods on his own boat!  Now to get Barry's boat completed.......

Update at 11... uh, or something like that. :)

Well by golly I see the old timer is still on the green side of the grass. I was beginning to worry about you, feller. Speaking of way back, I continue to remember and think about the Alaska fleet and the boys that actively participated here in the beginnings. We could count on them to provide a detailed and running account of their ventures. Where have the years gone? Seems like yesterday!

I think most of the Alaska fleet sold their boats and moved to different ones.

I got your message the other day.  I hope you received my response.? I have been so busy with other things this year.  I may be going out next Wednesday with my Chiropractor also.  If so, I will be taking out the runabout for that trip.

I guess it has been a few years..... Looking forward to sailing with you guys again. I am glad we could find a date that worked for everyone. I thought I would be sailing at least 3 times a week when the boat was finished but other things keep getting in the way!

Jake, Joemma park did not work for us even at high tide. We had the boat all rigged ready to go, backed down to the water and realized that it was only about a foot deep  ???  All I could say was "glad I didn't talk everybody into coming out here". I did however find another great spot. Manchester, about 7 miles from Port Orchard, maybe 2 miles from Blake Island, another 3 or 4 to Vashon Island , and a great view of downtown Seattle. We were going to go yesterday but I was too beat after scraping paint on the back of the house all morning.

Oldtimers indeed  ;D

The first annual Old Timers South Sound sailing regatta is planned for next Thursday.  By old timers, three of us have been around since the first site that Frank put up. :) (Thank again Frank!).

Only two boats with four forum members are planning on attending!  We will have Joel, Barry, Mike Routley and myself.  Joel will get to sail in my neck of the woods on his own boat!  Now to get Barry's boat completed.......

Update at 11... uh, or something like that. :)

I remember that old site, sort of.  I cannot recall when I originally joined Frank's forum.  Didn't we all have to re-register and our member dates got reset?  Does that make me an "old timer" since my memory is getting bad, along with everything else? ::)

Capt. Jake, I look forward to seeing the pics and reading the story of the regatta.  I hope you all have a great time! :)

Joel, I tried twice sailing out of Boston Harbor here in Olympia.  If you hit it at high tide, it is fine.  But it has to be a plus tide!  The last time I had the whole truck and trailer in the water with me also in the water pushing the boat onto the trailer.  Never again.  Bad part is that the launch is free.  I guess I know why now. ;)

Gregg points out a good point.  Everybody better bring a camera!  Make sure it is charged (note to self...) :)

Frank has changed the site several times.  The original, if I recall correctly, was an MSN site?  It started out as a personal one that had a message board that generated a lot of activity because of all of the very helpful information he posted there.

Gadzooks! :o  Not sure that I fit into that catagory entirely.  Errr, ah, what was that catagory again?  I was a late comer, only been active since about 2000 although I was a lurker prior to that.  Lots of water been passed ...............beneath a lot of hulls since then.  Good friends made and still my Weekender isn't finished.  Hate to say it, but life does have a way of getting in the way of the things we would like to get done vs. the things we need to get done.

One thing I do know for certain, couldn't find 4 better suited old farts to get together to go sailing than this group.  Yes the camera will come along, better plan on having some good music as well.  Just in case we don't have much wind in the AM so we don't have to listen to FM, we can get our groove going with some mellow tunes.

Just realized, three of us met when Capt. Jake won the "Best yard art" trophy, or something like that, at the Olympia Wooden Boat Fair with his, at that time, yet to be launched Weekender that didn't even have a name yet.  Still sitting on a trailer on the dock by the bay. 

I'm really looking forward to this coming Thursdays outing. 

I remember being part of the Beta test for the first rendition of the site.  Seems like a lifetime ago.

Tires aired up, hubs greased.  Two VHF radios charged and ready to go.  New gas in the tank and a test run on the motor.  I gave up on the Grp31 battery in the bow.  It only lasted a short time and wouldn't hold a charge any longer.  I gathered 5 lead ingots that totaled the same weight as the battery.  I placed them in the battery box and spray foamed them into place.  We will see if it works out or not. :)  I have a portable speaker system for the I-pod that holds for about 10 hours, so that is my new source of sailing music. :)

Had a great time yesterday sailing with Capt Jake (Weekender, "Fire Escape") Barry, and Mike down in South Puget Sound. We drifted around most of the morning but managed to make it around Anderson Island. The winds did pick up for the last leg. The opposing tide made for an interesting (and wet) ride back to the dock. Here are a few pictures of our adventure. I could of swore I took more :)

http://picasaweb.google.com/jsacho/20080718South_Sound_Sailing 

Click this link for a Google map of the area:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jsacho/20080718South_Sound_Sailing/photo#map

joel

I had a great time sailing with Capt. Jake, Barry and Joel.  It was a long day, my old backside got a tad sore.  As Joel said, the morning was a little slow, but the company and the climate were perfect.  Speaking of perfect,  you should see Joel's "Island Girl", she is a beauty.  Nice job Joel.  I took about 50 pictures.  When I figure out how to post them I will.  I wish I was a better story teller, I find it difficult to put into words how great it felt to be out sailing with such a super bunch of guys.  I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

I too had an outstanding time!  I will post pictures here later as I just got back into town from another obligation.

Funny thing about pictures, "It doesn't look like there was much wind."  Well, when it is blowing out there, your hands are full of things other than a camera. ;)  In one of Joel's pictures, you can see that I have my smaller 'storm' jib in place.  I was nearing the point of taking a reef when we decided that we were close enough to motor into the marina.  I am glad I have that second jib up there for days like that.  It made a huge difference when the winds picked up.

You will also notice in one of Joel's pictures that I am being towed.  That was on  the way back to the marina after the lower end of my outboard decided to go out!  I have to tear it apart this morning to find out what I need to repair it.  I am certainly glad that we had two boats out there that day. ;)

I actually got some pretty good pictures. :)  I am surprised! It is easier to share them in the album.  I believe this will take you there. http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0BZOXDNs3bsXqg&emid=sharshar&linkid=link4

The motor was an easy fix.  Simply a shear pin on the prop shaft that gave up.  It couldn't have gone at a more in-opportune time. ;)  At least I had Joel to tow my in!  That little 2hp Honda worked really well!

Enjoy the photos.  There is one really good one of Joel and Barry.

JW

Any time I can get out on the water with this group would be great with me.  Nice day!  Joel's "Island Girl" is one nicely put together Weekender that handles as nice as any that I've been on.  He got it right!  Nothing that only minor tweeking wouldn't fix just to make things easier.  His rig is "keep it simple" and it works extremely well. Tacks thru even on light air with the clubfoot and is pretty darned nicely balanced.  His Tanbark Sails really set it off nicely too and they are well made, and perfect for the Weekender in this area.  In light to moderate air they perform as well as any I've had the opportunity to go on the water with.  Exactly what Joel wanted. 

glad I could get to share it.

...... By old timers, three of us have been around since the first site that Frank put up. :) (Thank again Frank!).

Craig, I'm not sure any of us qualify for general old timers status, not yet anyway. I did however get a discount at Starbucks the other day. Don't know the official cut-off age for that, but apparently the gray hair was enough ;)

joel