Help with Design/Plans for New Builder

BassMD

Hi folks--great forum here!  I am an experienced pro woodworker looking to build my first boat.  I'm looking for some ideas from you experienced builders.  I would like to make a nice little daysailer sloop in the 15-20' range, open interior plan with pretty lines.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Are you designing it yourself for fun, or are you looking for some important feature not found in the many available stock plans?

I would like to find an available plan if possible.  The Gig Harbor 17 Jersey Skiff comes really close to what I want but is not available as a plan or kit.  It would help greatly if I could be pointed in the direction of good websites and/or books.  Thanks!

The Gig Harbor is a pretty lapstrake boat:

skiff12.jpg

That design reminds me of the Arch Davis Penobscot designs, available at Arch Davis Design:

penob17-4.jpg

Even more, the John Welsford Navigator looks about the same:

nav.jpg

I think Ray Frechette has built these two designs, and some of our other builders here may have also.  If lapstrake is not important to you, people have been very happy with the B&B Yacht Designs Core Sound series.  The Core Sound 17 has won a few races lately, although I think the skill of designer/owner Graham has to be considered too (he provides support for his builders by phone and also in the B&B Yachts forum here on messing-about):

post-0-129497639507_thumb.jpg

??? I have read and re-read BassMD's original post, trying to figure out why there are questions such as "designing it himself", lapstrakes, etc.  It makes me think I have missed other postings.  I am puzzled, not critisizing.

Wouldn't a B&B Core Sound 17 or 20 fit the bill?  Since he is a beginner, trying to build a lapstrake, which I really like the looks of, is not a boat type that lends itself well to a novice boat builder.  Just my opinion, having built lapstrake.  Atkin's boats have some very nice lapstrake designs which can be modified for modern building materials by a knowledgable builder.  That said, I would recommend that he build a CS17, since he is an experienced builder.  Of course that assumes he is a finish carpenter/cabinet maker and not just a framer/drywall builder. :)

??? I have read and re-read BassMD's original post, trying to figure out why there are questions such as "designing it himself", lapstrakes, etc.  It makes me think I have missed other postings.  I am puzzled, not critisizing.

Wouldn't a B&B Core Sound 17 or 20 fit the bill?  Since he is a beginner, trying to build a lapstrake, which I really like the looks of, is not a boat type that lends itself well to a novice boat builder.  Just my opinion, having built lapstrake.  Atkin's boats have some very nice lapstrake designs which can be modified for modern building materials by a knowledgable builder.  That said, I would recommend that he build a CS17, since he is an experienced builder.  Of course that assumes he is a finish carpenter/cabinet maker and not just a framer/drywall builder. :)

He mentions the Gig Harbor 17 Jersey Skiff, which is a lapstrake design, in the third post.  The Gig Harbor 17 doesn't have plans available, but other boats in that class with that same look are available, and that's what everyone has been suggesting.

New boat builders tend to pick a boat based on appearance; they want to build a Weekender because of the bowsprit, or a stripper kayak because of the look, and generally look within whatever category they are attracted to.  The Core Sound boats may be better sailers, and easier to build, but sailing performance isn't something he's even thinking of now.  Of course, he could always paint stripes on the Core Sound hull!

Since he is a beginner, trying to build a lapstrake, which I really like the looks of, is not a boat type that lends itself well to a novice boat builder.  Just my opinion, having built lapstrake.  Atkin's boats have some very nice lapstrake designs which can be modified for modern building materials by a knowledgable builder. 

I have pretty much decided on the Penobscot 17, which is indeed a lapstrake design.  Though this is my first boat build, I have two things going for me: 1) the help of a very experienced builder who has made the Penobscot already, and 2) thirty years of experience as a woodworker and instrument maker (yes I make my living at it).

New boat builders tend to pick a boat based on appearance; they want to build a Weekender because of the bowsprit, or a stripper kayak because of the look, and generally look within whatever category they are attracted to.  The Core Sound boats may be better sailers, and easier to build, but sailing performance isn't something he's even thinking of now. 

You know what I am thinking?  Actually, I am quite interested in performance, and since I have expert sailing credentials with sloops, that is what I want to own and what I know how to get good sailing performance out of.  I also want a boat that will be happy on a trailer and easy and fast to rig and launch, since i will be drysailing her.

Hmmm?  It sounds like you already know what you want and are sure of your skills and your friends support.  I wonder what you are seeking here?  Were any of the answers what you hoped to find here?

Please post pics as your build progresses. Maybe more people will build the lapstrake boats once they see how you made out. :)

Thanks,

Greg.

I'm looking forward to following the progress of your build (sounds like you've settled on the penobscot 17).  It appears you have got the skills, experience and available advisor to have a great time with the build and the sailing.

Keep us in the loop!

I just reread my last post and it does not come out the way I intended.... :-[  I was trying to say I hoped BassMD had gotten all the help he was looking for from us and that I hoped he would be posting his build.  The boat choosen looks really nice, and I do like the looks of a lapstrake boat. :)

Thanks folks, the replies were very helpful.  Here's what happened to wrap up my choice: I live in rural downstate NY and took a trip this past weekend to see my daughter in southern Maine.  At a Rite-Aid I picked up the last remaining copy of Wooden Boat.  Perusing it later, I turned to the "launchings" page and there was pictured a beautiful Penobscot 17 just completed by Paul at Fox Lane Boatworks here in my town.  Turns out Paul is the gent who will be advising me!  As I was already strongly considering that model for my build, it was obvious to me that the universe had intervened to finalize my decision. 

This has been fun and I promise I will post pics of the build if I can ever figure out how to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

Ray, who is Arch?  I like to collect any boat building videos that can be found and would like to add this to our library.  Ben watches them more often than Sam, but the boys surprise me occasionally....ok, every day....and I find them watching those instead of doing gaming. :)

Ray, who is Arch?  I like to collect any boat building videos that can be found and would like to add this to our library.  Ben watches them more often than Sam, but the boys surprise me occasionally....ok, every day....and I find them watching those instead of doing gaming. :)

Never mind Ray.  Good old Google got me there.  Thanks anyway. :)

http://www.archdavisdesigns.com/davis_penobscot14.html