Building "Petunia" CS 17 #204

Docpal

"Lost" most of the Spring due to back issues, but have just dumped the crutches and am back to trying to finish her up this Summer. Finally got the cabin built, and glassed. Used one sheet of 1/8" marine ply for the base layer, and then rolled a layer of 5.7 oz carbon fiber cloth on top of that. Immediately gave the base sheet rigidity. Spread thickened epoxy over the carbon fiber and then laid a second sheet of 1/8"ply on top. Used a gazillion staples (3/8"galvanized) with bamboo skewers to keep them from burying completely onto the plywood. Pulled the staples, faired each layer. The cabin will already hold my weight. All of this will get covered with a top coating of 10 oz cloth.

All other deck components have been cut, and glassed. It's just a matter of being able to  build up the endurance to keep up the pace.

If the cabin top will already hold your weight, why are you adding the 10 oz cloth?

Mike,

The original thought was that I'd need the cloth to stiffen it all up, particularly in areas I'll most likely be stepping when stepping the main mast. But she's already surprisingly strong. It might not be needed at all.

• 1 month later...

Finally found a trailer. After going through all of the Craig's list scenarios ( "great trailer, needs some work, NO paper work or registration, etc.,etc" ) I bit the bullet and found a new one to be a lot less expensive than I feared,( $650 in NJ...).

Got her almost fitted to it, and am now frantically trying to button her up ( hatches,etc.) in time for the ride South to the Messabout. Still somewhat limited by a bum leg/nerve damage so I'm going to be finishing her AT the Messabout it looks like.

In the attached picture you can see that I need a little help with striking a real waterline, etc., but unless the leg falls off completely Petunia, and I WILL be there this year....

post-539-0-03139300-1412443034_thumb.jpg

Paul,

It's  the 16 foot Load Rite. I looked at the next size down and it would have meant the stern hung over that trailer more than 3 feet, so I went with the next size up.

PAR,

After thinking it over I added the cloth, just because....There's not really much cabin top left once the hatches are installed ...