Show me your aux power

cs

Just to update.  I bought the Minn Kota Endura 50 from Sportsman's Warehouse for $229 and there is a $60 mail in rebate.  This is a 12v motor with 50 lbs of thrust.  I went ahead and picked up the waterproof plug.  I haven't gotten a battery yet.  I figured I could get a battery at a better price somewhere other than Sportsmans and besides I want to look at the gell batteries.

61cVy0tQP-L._SL250_.gif

Chad

BTW I still have to make a moount for this.  I have some white oak that I'm looking at using.

That'll work well. Don't go crazy on the motor mount. A single piece of wood will work fine. What you can't see in the pictures of the mount I made is the wide notch--just wide enough for the motor mount clamp. I figured that if the screws on the clamp came loose the notch might keep the motor from sliding off into the drink.

I never got around to adding it but I was going to put a narrow strip of wood on the forward face of the mount, just above the clamp pads. I found that with the motor turned 90

I don't plan on getting crazy with the mount.  I have a couple of pieces of white oak one is 4/4 and the other is 8/4.  The 4/4 piece is not wide enough and the 8/4 piece is not tall enough.  In my head I"m thinking about making a "T" out of the 2 pieces.  I'll need to plane the 8/4 piece down and mortise the back out for the 4/4 piece.

Chad

I don't have the dimensions with me, but I will try and be descriptive enough. 

The 4/4 piece is a short plank that is tall enough to go down to the transom and be bolted on.  It is about 5-1/2" wide and about 3' long or somewhere around there.  It is not wide enough to fully catch the clamps on the transom mount of the motor.

The 8/4 piece is about 9" long and about 5" deep.  It is wide enough for the transom mount to fit nicely on and leave a little room on each side but not long enough to mount on the transom.

Chad

So something like this, then?

CSmotormount.jpg

Put the cross piece on the back side or it won't clear the deck properly. You'll have to cut off a bit to follow the curve. You may need that for clamping to, though. At only 5-1/2" wide, I would worry about the vertical piece being too narrow to spread the load well. I didn't draw it but I was thinking you might add a piece across the lower part of the vertical to help spread the laod. Maybe a bit of the 8/4 stuff. I don't think you'll need its full width for the top part. I drew the vertical piece at 18".

I think I drew this with the top too high but I can't remember the dimensions of the clamp.