Show me your aux power

cs

for the weekender.  I'm looking at aux power and the best way to mount it.  I've looked and thought about trolling motor (32" & 36") and I've also found a couple of good deals on some gas motors.

I need to see mounting details and get some insight.

Chad

943667-R1-00-1.jpg

528335246_6eda36a09f_b.jpg

width=487 height=650http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/weekender410/Weekender/528336506_ea76a5b046_b.jpg[/img]

Motor mount 3/4" white ash because I had it and it looked nice varnished. Plywood pieces with fender washers and locking nuts on the inside end of stainless carriage bolts. Receptacle in forward face of lazerette bulkhead for power. 6 ga. wire to battery in battery box in forepeak locker. 54Lb Minnkota because it was on sale for less than others in stock at local Gander Mountain.

I forget which shaft was on mine but I think it was the longer one. I could have reduced the height of the motor mount by an inch or so but it was never an issue as far as keeping the motor in the water. I initially thought about making a motor mount that moved the motor back a bit but there was already too much weight in the stern end compared to the bow especially with my lard at the helm. I figured it didn't make sense to shift weight any further back. Having the battery in the bow helped a lot but I could have stood to put another battery's worth of weight up there for trim.

Even with the rope horse across the back, I never had any problems with things snagging on the motor. I usually kept the handle pointed down as you can see in the center picture.

You'll have to play with it a bit and see. The only time I had any problems with the motor coming out of the water was if someone was on the foredeck. Usually I would just sit up on the stern deck which gave me better visibility anyway.

Yeah, Chad! Oh and get the waterproof plug and receptacle, six gauge stranded wire, battery terminal lugs and battery box while you're at it.

When I installed the receptacle on the boat, I made a small plate of cherry (a scrap I had on hand) that was drilled to fit the receptacle and was mounted to the laz bulkhead with a pair od small machine screws. It made a nice looking plate and I didn't need to worry about tearout from cutting the hole in the plywood showing.

I ran the wires up under the port side deck to the forepeak. I also built a base on which the batterbox sits so that in the off chance I got water in up there, the battery wouldn't be sitting in it. I did a sketch of the mounting arrangement for the battery but can't find it. I sent a copy to Bill. He might still have it and be able to post it.

Do you think it needs 6 gauge?  I'm planning on putting the battery forward of the cabin in that (I like to call it the anchor locker) and running the line back like you said on the port side.  I will have to look for the waterproof plug like you mentioned. 

I will probably make the motor mount out of white oak.  I like white oak for its strength and good looks and rot resitance.

Chad

ohh...I lurk here all the time Oyster and you know it  ;D  8) ;D. I just happen to have a strong opinion about a little extra power on the weekender because I tried the electric motor and also found it to be sufficient in most cases, but that said - I wouldn't have made it off Lake Roosevelt intact last year with just an electric motor. Here in the desert they damn rivers to make lakes and the rapid deterioration of weather conditions can surprise people. Just ask Craig Gleason. 

The weight of the gas motor also complicates things a little, but I still find it well worth the compromise. I also had to reinforce the transom where I mounted it. On the outside I used two el-cheapo cutting boards from target and after shaping them like the mount I painted them black with that special paint for plastic. On the inside I used a pieced of thick stock that I am sure used to be a 2x12 once in its life.

IMGP1751.jpg

It isn't traditional looking by any means but neither is the electric motor. And as often I sail anymore...it is easier to keep the gas motor maintained than to worry about the life of a marine battery that sits and sits.

I still care about boats...and I really do lurk around quite often. I particularly enjoyed Chad's tutorial on the paddles - It is nice to see folks "live" on video.

a.

Thank you.  I"m glad that you enjoyed the video series on making the paddle.

I've been on the fence about gas or electric.  Our lakes are all man made also.  I will probably go with electric on the weekender, for me it is a fair weather boat and the weather don't turn that quick here.  For the Balboa however I will be going gas and probably closer to 10 hp.

Chad