How big to bore hole for spindrift mast

davidpm

No i'm talking about the mast collar which the plans show has a 2" hole. My mast is exactly 2" so of course it needs to be a little bigger. I'm just asking what the epoxy plus paint adds up to so I make the hole big enough. I'm thinking that even a 2 1/8" hole will be too small.

The mast step shows a 2 1/4" slot at the widest point but that may be a little sloppy on purpose to allow for minor adjustments of the main.

[quote author=Hirilond

I made the hole in the collar a bit larger then applied a couple of wraps of epoxy and tape around the aluminium tube at the point where the collar touches the mast to protect the tube from wear. I noticed that if the fit is too tight it can be difficult to pull the mast out when derigging. So I sanded the epoxy tape back a bit to give a couple of millimeter slop so I can wriggle the mast out.

Wardm's solution sounds good to me. My hole is just a bit snug even after spending time trying to sand and rasp it bigger. I would go with the 2-1/8" diameter and add a layer of tape to the mast until its a good fit. That way it's not a snug fit for the whole length of the mast, but only where it needs to be snug.