Another Spindrift 12 goes 3D...Yippee

Greg Luckett

Thanks Greg.  The Anderson bailer I have is the super max model and it appears the wide part (flange?) goes on the inside of the hull.  Opposite of yours.  Did you use a gasket between the bailer and the hull?

My project this weekend has been building garage doors so the boat can be freed in the spring.  We lived in the garage while building the house back in the 80's.  Never did get around to putting cars in the garage.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Greg.  The Anderson bailer I have is the super max model and it appears the wide part (flange?) goes on the inside of the hull.  Opposite of yours.  Did you use a gasket between the bailer and the hull?

My project this weekend has been building garage doors so the boat can be freed in the spring.  We lived in the garage while building the house back in the 80's.  Never did get around to putting cars in the garage.

No gasket came with it and probably would not have helped either. I used 5200 for bedding mine, as that is what I had available in a tube that was about to expire. I do not plan to remove this bailer but if I did it would be permanently removed. I was not too concerned about using a bedding compound that is easier to remove.

Well, you finally got your Spindrift done! :D

All we have to do now is get Frank to do something with his.

We're camping with the Boy Scouts this weekend and I am taking my Spindrift along as a dinghy. Gonna take the sail kit along and do a little sailing, too.

Steve

Yes Steve, just the spars and rigging to do yet, which should be done today except for a couple of the blocks back ordered at B&B needed for the main sheet. :D

Poor Frank must really be chomping at the bit to build his Spindrift but I think life keeps conspiring to keep him busy with other things. I know how that is.

Next on our list is to build two Divas, which Sam and Ben are going to do, and I am continuing the search for a means and place to build my PS26.  I want the heavier version for coastal sailing.

Have fun with the Scouts. We go out again with our troop the weekend after this.  :)

Here are a couple of shots of the mast and boom, first time installed. There is still some hardware to install and more cleaning...that seems to never end....and once the dew all dries up today, we will see if the sails fit...fingers are crossed with hope. :)

post-65-129497688372_thumb.jpg

post-65-129497688377_thumb.jpg

We had a good trip with the Scouts this past weekend. Took the big boat down to Petit Bois Island and overnighted. Came back Sunday and saw three twisters that could have easily turned into waterspouts (they did not touch down on the water).

We did row the Spindrift a bit, but did not get to sail it. Going to try again this coming weekend with family.

Your Spindrift looks pretty good there in the driveway, but it would look better in the water.  ;)

Steve

• 6 months later...

I have been busy doing a few of the last details. Here are some pictures of the oarlocks and backing plates for the chain plates. These will be painted to match the interior white. The chain plate nuts will be recessed into them to keep them from protruding and hurting a persons back.

post-65-129497697372_thumb.jpg

post-65-129497697403_thumb.jpg

post-65-129497697433_thumb.jpg

post-65-129497697464_thumb.jpg

Yes Steve, just the spars and rigging to do yet, which should be done today except for a couple of the blocks back ordered at B&B needed for the main sheet. :D

Next on our list is to build two Divas, which Sam and Ben are going to do, .....

I had to give up on the final details due to the onset of late fall weather in September. The tent was already down and stowed so there was no alternative but to tarp the Spindrift for winter weather.

This was a very cold winter. My shop heater could not keep up with it which meant the materials were never warmed up enough to glue or paint. We just said to heck with it and did not do any projects until starting about 2 weeks ago.

Greg,

I hear you! We had to slow down quite a bit on the Rescue Minor due to the really cold (for here) and long winter also. Really tough when the weather gets in the way of boat construction!  :sad:

We had enough delay that we will not be able to take the Rescue Minor to the Perdido Wood Boat Festival this year. A real bummer!  :sad: :sad:

Glad to see that you are starting back up on the work.

I like the sign! That's a really good thing.

Steve

The darn weather has been teasing me. It has been sunny and clear, but never above the low 50s. I need to heighten the mainsheet block on the sole and varnish the gunwhales to be done.  I need to sew some slides onto the mainsail and complete the boom too.  The local marine supply will have the slides I need and will open tomorrow.  Progress?  Three steps forward.....2-1/2 steps back....ugh. :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

Darn the weather again. I added sail slugs to the boat's main sail yesterday and need to put up the mast and test everything. The boat's registration numbers need applied too. Just a bit more rigging and she should be ready for launch. It is windy and wet outside.

I found these two videos from Sailrite to be helpful.

http://www.sailrite.com/Shackles-Plastic-Narrow-Wide-Screw-On-Streaming-Video

http://www.sailrite.com/Slugs-or-Slides-Round-for-Sails-Watch-this-Installation-Video