Got Gas and need solution!!

ScottWidmier

Figured that title would get interst  ;D !  In another thread I decided to use an outboard with external tank on my small boat.  My question is if anyone knows a place where we can get smaller tanks than 3 gallons.  Preferrably something small in one dimension or the other. 

As for 3 gallon tanks, I still have my 70's era metal tank whose dimensions are smaller than the equivalent plastic one sold now.  I would probably use this but wanted to know what to look out for on these tanks.  Also, I have less than a gallon of gas currently in the tank that is very old.  What do you recommend I do with this gas?  Do I need to clean out the interior of the tank if the gas is still in liquid form?

Thanks.

There is a dinghy tank available, that hangs on the transom under the engine. I have no idea how much one of those holds. I BELIEVE I saw them in the Defender catalog, but I can't recall for sure.

Other wise, no- a 3 gallon is the smallest I've ever seen. That's what we use on Tehani- two 3 gallon tanks.

On the getting rid of gas. For larger quantities I'd go to a reclaim place. For less than a gallon I think I'd walk down the middle of a hot blacktop street or road with the gas dribbling out into the middle of the road. It'll evaporate really quickly and the residue isn't any worse than the tar and oil already there. But only for quite small amounts you understand.

I almost hate to say it but I have to agree with you Charlie - I used to live across the street from a gas station and there was a spill one day.  I don't know how many gallons were on the parking lot but I was a hundred yards away and the fumes were really bad (even for a smoker like me - I was dizzy).  When I saw a gas station employee sweeping the large pool of gas into the adjacent ditch I called the appropriate agency (I think it was the North Carolina Dept of Health and Natural Resources) to report a gasoline spill that was being deliberately pushed into the ditch rather than properly contained and disposed of.  The woman on the other end of the line kept asking me "are you SURE it isn't diesel, because we can do something about that?"  She explained that gasoline was so volatile that it didn't leave enough pollutants behind to harm the local environment.  There was nothing I could say that would get the woman interested in looking at the spill because I wasn't wililng to lie and say it was diesel.

I don't necessarily believe her but I don't think it would be terribly dangerous to put the gas in a wide shallow container and just let it evaporate.  Okay, I take it back - That would be a fire hazard.  Charlie's idea of spreading the very volatile petroleum product (gas) on top of the not-so-volatile petroleum product (lblacktop) is interesting.  As long as you do it when there isn't rain in the forecast?

I almost forgot to add - I've got a one-gallon can that I use to refuel my Honda 2.  It's not as convenient as having a tank plumbed to the motor but it does entend my range at a reasonable throttle setting to 9-12 hours.  And it fits anywhere on the boat too, though because of the size it's not very useful as ballast.

At first I was a bit shocked at the idea of pouring out the gas but further reading it does make some sense.  Spill gas when filling the lawnmower and it is all gone in a matter of minutes.  Ken, the motor I am wanting to use doesn't have an on-board tank so a small gas can isn't an option.  Besides, my 3 gallon tank holds enough for more motoring than I want to do on one trip.  I was kinda hoping that there was a solution out there that would allow me to adapt any gas can into a gas tank. 

BTW, got a good tip on refueling the built-in tank on an outboard.  Get a section of hose with the fuel bulb on it and then use that to quickly siphon the gas into the tank on your motor.  That way you aren't trying to balance yourself and a can of gas over the motor.  Simply push the hose into the tank on the motor, other end into the gas can, and then pump.

Yup- I use the hose and fuel bulb to fill our kerosene stove and lanterns, AND transfer fuel from bulk tanks to the 3 gallon engine tanks. I keep two of them aboard.

You folks understand i"m not advocating dumping gallons of gas out on the highway- just small quantities- like UNDER a gallon. And on a hot day so it will evaporate quickly.

Gee there are no perfects in boating and boats. You either own a power boat or a sailboat. Even power boats deal with never enough fuel or never enough room for even the proper amount of fuel that needs to be carried for a particular engine size. What it always comes down to is folks attempt to put ten pounds of potatoes in a five pound bag.  ;)

Now as far as disposal of old gas and oil related products, I personally subscribe to satuating sawdust in an open washtub. let sit for a day and then sit on fire, or use to start my burn pile. Of course I can burn where I live but this may not be the case with some of you folks that live in those gated communities. :P

Get cat litter if you do not have any sawdust and please do not pour on the ground. Some of us eat fish and drink the water from the runoff of all the residue when it rains. And for those that live where there is not rain, when it does rain after long periods of drought, the runoff is pretty darn toxic. The roads are also very sliperry from the build up of slime.

Scott the Saralee has a 6 gallon tank under the starboard seat.  At the end of the season what ever is left goes in the truck.  Done this for years and never a problem.  Just have sufficient gas inthe vehicle to dilute the old gasoline. 3 bucks a gallon and dump it inthe road?  Cold day in  hell!!!!  :P

Craig, this is gas for a 2 cycle with oil mixed in.  However, I think I may mix it (less than a gallon) with fresh gas in a separate can and use it for the old lawnmower.  Much less expensive and easier to fix than my car.  Besides, the old gas doesn't have that old gas smell if you know what I mean....