Vacationer for Sale

Arnie Eaton

For Sale! Unfinished Vacationer. Most of the woodwork is finished. All materials needed to finish goes with the hull. Includes sails, motor (74 lb minkoda,24 VDC, new), all hardware, mast is birdsmouth, blocks are SS, boom and bowsprit are solid DF, Jib is 100%, Main sail is loose footed, plus much more. Located in Western Montana. Call Arnie Eaton at 406 375 8290 or e-mail to aeeaton@cybernet1.com

• 1 month later...

I just watched my Vac go down the road. Yes it is sold. Every one wish the new owner good luck and happy sailing. Arnie

I do wish the new owner the best of luck.  Who is it, by the way, Arnie?

Arnie, what is the next step.  Are you stopping boat building activities?

Hi Greg, A young man and his wife plus their young son from Laramie Wyo. brought "Windsong". The young man dreams of sailing around the world someday with a much larger ship. He needed to learn to sail so that's the reason for buying the Vac. Now that my shop has room I will finish a small kayak, the maybe a small 12' to 15' sailboat, like a "Sunray" or a catboat. Some type of small sailboat that I can put in and take out of the water by myself. Just getting to old for some things I would like to do. 76 yrs next month.

The Spindrift 12 can be built as a catboat, or if using the sloop configuration, the mast can be moved forward and the sloop main sail then as the cat rigged sail.

I think my next boat after building my Spindrift 12 will be Graham's Lapwing.  I like lapstrake boats and had planned to build one of the Atkins designs and have plans to 3 or 4 of them.  I will probably still build at least one of them too.  I really enjoy building the boats and have missed not doing so for a couple of years now.

I was going to build a kayak but then decided I would not like sitting in that position for very long.  Ben and Sam are encouraging me to build a couple for them.  Hmmmm, that would be a good project for them.  Not too expensive if they mess it up and I do not have to spend the time building them myself.  They could then put them up on top of the RV when we travel, or sit on the Spindrift on the trailer. :) 

Let us know how your kayak project turn out, please.

Wow, 76 years young!  I have a good friend who is about 83 or 84 now, who sails a 35 footer, races her, and also rides a bicycle about 30 to 40 miles twice a week.  He is in better shape than I am at 56.  Oh, okay, round is a shape I guess, but he is lean and healthy, but getting more frail I think.

Best of regards,

Greg.

• 2 weeks later...