Cruzlite outboard??

ScottWidmier

Those motors sure look good....

There is a two year  warranty on those engines, a big plus. I would hate to think about how many hours I have spent seeking out small engines buying it for several hundred dollars only to find that I must also spend the equivilant of the purchase price to fix the engine to working order. I could have just gone out and purchased a new one. Live and learn, or so it goes...

That motor is even noisier than the cruise n carry not to mention heavier.

Yeah, but a boat with a Seagull has only one moving part .... the rower!

Frank,

You got me laughing with that one. Have you ever tried to start one of those things when you needed it? The pull cord with the knot at the end leaves the frustrated oarsman looking like someone had taken a cat-o-nine-tails to him!

Chad

well- it's fun to laugh, but I have two friends who use Seagulls and both of their engines start on the second pull, every time.

If they are tuned up, there ain't a whole lot to go wrong with them. Smoky rascals to be sure due to the heavy oil mix, but sure will push a lot of boat.

Personally, I love my 4 stroke Yamaha ;D

The 4 strokes are nice in a lot of ways but I can't help thinking what we lost by outlawing all new 2 strokes.  For motors 5hp and under does 4 stroke really produce significantly less polution than a modern (not a seagull) 2 stroke?  Enough to justify the much larger size?  I don't want something that has to live on the transom or takes up precious real-estate inside an open cruising boat.  I want something that is small and light that hopefully will remain in the bottom of my boat for the whole trip.  Its only purpose being pushing me in the extreems (too much or too little wind) or if I have a schedule to keep and have to go upwind.  I carry a motor in the hopes that I will never use it so something very small, very light, and very unobtrusive on my sailing is what I am looking for.  Something like the old cruise n carry and/or cruz lite outboards and I can't get either or, if I do get them, I can't get parts to maintain.  Sorry, rant is over....

As nice as those new outboards look I can't justify spending the money on them because I can't see the benefit over what I currently have.  In fact, I see more benefit with the 4hp evinrude being just 3 pounds heavier than some and lighter than others and having more hp to get me to my destination faster or buck adverse winds and waves.  All my choices in new motors have to reside on my transom anyway.  Only downside is the external tank but I am already thinking of ways of hiding it forward (if I can find a small one) and the external tank can be of sufficient size for a week of sailing without refueling.  Besides, I would most likely be carrying extra gas for those outboards with tanks on them.  My Evinrude has very low hours of operation on it which I know because the family has had it since new and it's simple 2 stroke nature means I can easily maintain it like new--very reliable. 

Now, the cruise n carry has never let me down and, after I clean the carborator, will probably run better.  I do need a new cowling so if anyone has any suggestions....

Well, we really DIDN'T outlaw all new 2 strokes. Some of the newer direct injection 2 strokes ably meet EPA standards and are still being made.

The drawback is those are only larger engines, NOT the 2, 4, 6 HP models we would be interested in. The technology is there, but it's just too high dollar for small engines. But in the 25, 50, and larger ranges, two strokes are still being made and sold.

So that leaves those with very small HP requirements with the choice of a larger engine weight wise, or a carefully maintained older small 2 stroke.

Of course our 4 stroke sits in a well permanently- it's way too much hassle to remove it, so the lower unit is anti fouled and it stays put. And the lower unit is in the water any time we are sailing. The drag is regrettable, but unavoidable. So we live with it- it's really no worst than a fixed prop would be if we had an inboard. And the fuel economy means a lot ( 1/3 the fuel usage), plus the quietness of the engine means that Laura will at least tolerate it running. She HATED hearing any of our 2 strokers.

After some 3200 miles of waterway running, on three different engines ( 2 -2 strokes and 1- 4 stroke) we're sold on the 4 strokers, for OUR use.

Hum I have tried to upload a photo again to the host site thats listed on here and continue to come up empty handed today. It states that its not avaliable and links me off to a simular front main page for the messingabout website. Anyhow, I use a three gallon fuel tank under the foward cap on my little 12 footer that measures 18" long, x 9 inches wide, x 10" plus or minus to the top of the fill cap, made by Tempo. Frank, thats funny!!!