Cruzlite outboard??

ScottWidmier

I am looking for a good outboard for my boats replacing a cruise n carry outboard someone gave me for free.  I love my current cruise n carry for its small size and lightweight which allows me to store it inside the boat.  Most of the time I prefer to sail and then use oars close to shore but I want the confidence and outboard gives.  While the cruise n carry hasn't let me down yet, I have a feeling it is only a matter of time.

I have been looking at the 4 stroke 2 to 2.5 hp outboards out there but am concerned about their size (ability to fit inside my boats).  I just found Cruzlite outboards which are smaller and lighter (17lbs) than the other options.  It is a two-stroke but water cooled and exhaust through the prop.  Is anyone familiar with these motors and/or used one?

There is a local dealer with some of the smaller 3 hp or 3.5 hp Evinrudes for about 500 bucks and even a 2 hp Honda avaliable. I did not measure the shaft, but it does appear that they are longer than 15 inches. Most motors under six hp are nothing more than the lawn mower motors in the four strokes, some being air cooled even in the named brands.

The Honda 2hp is the lightest 4 stroke but is air cooled and all of the reviews I read say it is noisy.  It also is the most expensive!  I know a guy who is selling a 2.5 hp Yamaha that I could get for a good price but, again, it is fairly large for the hp as are all of the 4 strokes.  This cruzlite is 2 stroke and the dimensions look a lot smaller than the Yamaha with water cooling and exhaust through the prop it should be reasonably quiet.  Besides, nothing can be more loud than the cruise n carry  :o !

I have a Honda 2hp four stroke.  Yep - It was expensive.  It weighs 28 lbs and the noise is loud enough to remind me that I should be sailing  ;D but I don't think it's too bad.  Normally the only time I use the motor is when I want to go somewhere and the wind isn't blowing.  In those conditions I just keep the throttle at a quarter or less and I can still have a reasonable conversation at 4 knots.  I've never needed full-throttle.  For me I think a 2hp two-stroke would have worked also but it might have been even noisier.

I'd be happy to take any measurements you might need to see if it will fit your stowage requirements.

The Honda will be an option if I can find a good used one in the area.  Definitely high marks for reliability!  If I remember, though, the Honda is air-cooled and the exhaust goes out above the waterline?  If so, this CruzLite might be quieter because it is liquid cooled and the exhaust goes out from the prop.  But, like you I am looking for alternative propulsion so a little bit of noise will encourage me to sail!  ;D

I bought my Honda new for (I probably shouldn't admit) $800.  I have no idea what it would sell for used.  It is air cooled but the exhaust is below the waterline.  I wish I could say whether it's loud relative to other outboards of its size but its the only small outboard I've been around.  It is much louder when I leave it running and go forward, lifting the exhaust above the water's surface.  It isn't as bad as a lawnmower.

One thing I can say is I have a hearing problem.  I can't understand language if there is significant background noise.  There are many situations in which I watch other people talk to each other and they can hear each other fine but I can't make out anything but the occasional word.  With my motor at a quarter throttle I can carry on a conversation.  Above that it gets more difficult but the boat doesn't go much faster.  If I could make one modification to that motor it wouldn't be noise reduction - It would be a different prop.  The prop seems to be sized to move a much heavier boat at a slow speed (a friend of mine borrowed it for about six months and pushed his 28' ballasted boat around just fine, even into 20ish mph winds) so I don't think the motor reaches its potential with my lightweight CS17.  The flip side of that is I can motor quite well into a very stiff breeze - I'll be amazed (and scared) the day I can't make headway into a breeze.

I haven't been able to find an aftermarket prop that fits this motor (somebody please tell me if you know of one).  I've thought of making my own but that's way down on my priority list - Not to mention the learning curve:)

The easiest way to judge whether the Honda makes an acceptable amount of noise might be to drop by and we'll motor around the lake  :)  Let me know if you want any size measurements taken on it because I have a feeling it might be a slightly larger package than your two-stroke and if it doesn't fit in the space you have it would make your decision much easier...

If you're thinking about spending lots of money on a new motor you might want to look into what it would cost to make the old one just like new.  You can always pretend you bought a brand new cruise n carry...

The quote I got for a new 2hp Honda was $1400  :o .  Hence my hesitation on considering the Honda  :-\ .  As for a good price on a used (barely) Honda, based on Ken's price I would say $600 would be a good price (on my price it would be closer to what Ken paid new! 

Ken, I would love it if you could measure your motor and give me the dimensions.  I have come to the conclusion that the other 2.5hp 4 stroke outboards are too large but the Honda might work and would definitely address the confidence issue. 

Fixing up an older outboard like new is moving up on my list not because of the price but just because the old 2 strokes are so much smaller and lighter than the new 4 strokes.  However, even fixed up, I don't think the cruise n carry would be my motor of choice for going a long distance.  It is just too noisy and only pushes my boat along at around 3mph.  It still isn't a bad option for something to put in the bottom of the boat just in case (I mainly use oars when the distance is shorter).  Speaking of, does anyone know where I can get a replacement cowling for a cruise n carry?

After looking at the weight and size of the Yamaha 4 stroke (guy in my sailing club had a 2.5 for sale) and other brands I am now more seriously considering a third option which is using my Evinrude 4hp Lightwin.  It would really push my boat well but storing boat the motor and tank in the boat will be a challenge (a new smaller tank would help).  How long can the fuel supply hose be?  Maybe I could hide the tank under the sleeping platform up forward.  Most likely the motor would reside on the transom though I should probably move the mainsheet to the mid-boom rather than the end.  Of course, that gets it in the way of rowing....

Picture of my cruise n carry prior to fixing it up (I did a few small things) and prior to the cowling breaking apart.  Also pictures of my 4hp on the transom.

normal_js1024_IMAG0028.jpgnormal_js1024_IMAG0030.jpg

normal_js1024_IMAG0032.jpg

WOW! Maybe I should buy this one.  ;) Scott I have a new 3 hp litetwin with the fold up lower unit complete with the suitcase, just like it came from the factory that was found in an attic in an old dealer. That one also has a built in tank on top. I have only used it one time since it did not meet me requirments and have kept it for the heck of it. But it could go away, too.  ;)I don't think its as lite as the 17 lbs. though.

The engine is a new used one that from what I understand has not been run since 2004. It was used on a flounder skiff but did not work out. He also has the 3.5 johnson two stroke with the built in tank on top thats priced at 650. The Honda is priced at 700. [sorry Ken.] If you wish I can see what it would take to buy it since I also know that in all probabilty the carb. will need to be taken apart, or would be my thought. It looks like a new motor out of the box.

aV1XKStA.jpg

aV1XL1s9.jpg

Doesn't matter which brand you get, if the carb has had ANY fuel in it for more than a couple of weeks, then you'll need to overhaul it.  The new requirements that the EPA has on gasoline over the last decade or so mean that fuel has a shelf life of 1-3 weeks in a small, vented carburetor.  It's not the engine's fault.  Blame the hippies in our government.

The good news is that a carb on an outboard is just about the simplest animal on any engine.  Just clean the crud out of the float bowl, take all the jets out and clean them thoroughly (including the idle jet that's on the top on a lot of them, especially Hondas), and squirt some carb cleaner and then compressed air throughout the passages.  Be careful when usin a wire to clean out a badly plugged jet as you may damage and enlarge it, causing rich running.  If the idle mixture screw has a metal limiter cap on it that keeps you from removing it, you can usually heat the cap with a soldering gun and pull it off.  Make sure that you screw it in until it seats lightly (many will be damaged if you screw them in too tight) and count how many turns it was out.  then, when you re-install it, just make sure that it's out the same number of turns.

Hope this info is useful to somebody, although I'm sure a lot of you already knew it.  Just wanted to point out that a plugged carb is no reason to not buy a used outboard.  Of course, if you are scared of rebuilding it, a new carb usually costs less than $100 (at least on the Hondas that I work on at work) and often requires no adjustment when you slap it on ad go.

You have a few choices in small outboards: Suzuki 2.5, Mercury 2.5, Honda 2, Yamaha 2.5 and the Tohatsu 2 which is the base for the Mercury.

The Mercury 2.5 and Tohatsu are the same engine, though Mercury says it's more then a re-badging. Experience says the Mercury has 4 more degrees of ignition advance and is set to run a richer fuel/air mixture (providing the extra HP). The Mercury is the cheapest and weighs about 42 pounds and is one of the least noisy of the bunch. The same is true of the Tohatsu.

The Yamaha is the softest spoken of the bunch and second most costly, but weighs 37 pounds.

The Suzuki is the second cheapest and the lightest at 29 pounds. The mounting clamps are known to break if the engine is used a lot (removed and returned to the transom of a dinghy frequently). It's not quite as loud as the Honda, but is louder then every other model.

The Honda is the most expensive and air cooled, which also makes it the loudest. Engineering on the Honda's has sorted out the fuel delivery issues that troubled their first generation 4 stroke. It is the same weight as the Suzuki (29 pounds).

I'm not sure about the Cruzlite, but I suspect it is a re-badged product.

I just weighted my Evinrude Lightwin 4hp at 30 lbs (external tank)!  Really puts all of these 4 stroke motors in perspective for me.  I also did something I should have done from the beginning...measured  :-[ .  The space I have to store a motor without it getting in the way of the cockpit or going on the sleeping platform (a possibility) is 31" long X 13" X 9" which really limits the outboards I could use unless I resign myself to having one decorate my transom while sailing.  The Cruise n Carry fits in that space but I don't think any of the 4 stroke motors would fit.  That folding motor of yours might if I took it out of the case.... something to think about.  The used Johnson might work if it is similar to some other ones I have seen.  The Honda is very attractive, admitedly, for the reliability and fuel efficiency.  I could also get a brand new Suzuki for $750. 

What I need to do is get out on the lake with the Lightwin on the back of the boat and see how she trims out and sails.  If that is too much weight then there is a good chance both the Honda and the Suzuki will be too much and I am back to the Cruise n Carry or maybe this CruzLite. 

I have a Honda 2hp with the clutch and long shaft.  It moves the Peep real well.  Most of the noise is from the carb since the cowling has to have vents for the cooling air.  One nice thing is there is no water pump impeller to maintain.  I have seen them used on Ebay for arounf $500.  One thing I have noticed is the oil level sight does does read well unless the engine is running.  The engine does start easy and runs well.  For once it's nice to have a like new engine that I did not have to rebuild the carb.

Niels

Yup, just like I thought.  Either the motor will have to stay on the transom or on the sleeping platform forward for longer sailing/cruising.  For daysailing it looks like I will still be using the cruise n carry which tucks real nice in the available space.  You should be able to see it at the back of the cockpit in the picture below.

Oyster, is the length on the evinrude with the motor out of the case and folded?  If so, it is longer than my 4hp Evinrude (35X10X16) with control handle folded.  I am surprise the Honda is so large though I suppose that is a longshaft? 

Again, I think I need to get out on the Lake with the 4hp Evinrude and see how it does.  I can easily make that motor like new at a fraction of what a new motor would cost and the extra hp doesn't hurt nor does the external tank if I can find somewhere to store it (goes longer without needing to be refilled).  Our family has owned this 1974 motor since it was new so I remember it from when I was a kid. 

The measurement that I posted for the evinrude was for the new 3.5, not my foldup one.  My fold up one folded is 23 1/2" long and the shaft folds up within in its width. The overall width is 35 inches plus or minus a half an inch or so. The Honda is speced out for a 20 inch shaft, but most foreign engines are anothe two inches, or has been my experience versus the American ones in the smaller hp.

Forgot to post my picture.  You can see the cruise in carry in its little spot out of the way.  Oyster, I am hoping to get out on the lake with this boat this weekend to try out the motor thing.  After that I am gone for three weekends with two of them being a study abroad I am directing to Trinidad and Tobago.  You do know it will be extremely painful for me to see so much beautiful water but not have one of my boats!

711190364503_0_BG.jpg

That is one pretty boat. You took a simple build and added a lot of touches which has always been the fun part of doing one offs. When boats like that hits the ramps, its really hard to get past the folks lurking and launch them. If I was in your shoes, I moght be pressed to bite the bullet and really consider the Torpedo electric engine which by published reports they are equvilant to two hp engines and are supposely easily stowed away.I have seen them for about 1300 bucks and quite possibly can be bought less. Also I have ask it I could also try the engine to see how the motor will actually perform since the sales are not going that swell because of the price by comparison. But I also see huge advantages with the self contained unit for an absolute auxillary motor and not a motor to cruise the waters..

Well, money I don't spend on a motor can go into wood for my next build  ;D !  I think I will see if my current motors (cruise n carry and 4hp evinrude) can work for this boat especially now that I have read so much about gummy gas.  I have a feeling this is one of the problems with the cruise n carry reliability.  The other problem with the cruise n carry is the cowling, which supports the gas tank, is falling to pieces so if you ever spy a good cowling...  I might have to make something out of fiberglass using the old cowling for a template.  It would be a lot tougher than the plastic original!!!

Thanks for the compliments on the boat!  I have had a lot of fun adding little touches and learning from the process.  Steaming mahogony was a very interesting learning process btw!  In that picture, btw, the boat is loaded with cruising gear and a little heavier at the bows without my weight in the stern.  Here is a shot from the other angle and you can see why I want a little bigger one-person cruiser by imagining 200+ pounds of skipper added to the cruising gear already in there does to the waterline.

1193774801.jpg

I attempted to add a couple of shots to the photo linking thats provided and it comes up that its not avaliable. But I will add a couple of shots that shows the sizes for anyone looking for a nice and small kicker motor, which is so hard to come by or has been my experience. Only you would notice the suttle details of how a boat sits in the water, same as any other boat owner seeing what may appear to be some flaw. Looks fine to me. Your boat's time on the water speaks for the success itself no matter what off angle you think you have in it.

DSC04621.jpg

DSC04622.jpg