2008 Lake Pepin Messabout

Bill Paxton

I have it on the schedule now and hope to bring the Spindrift 12....if I can just manage to build it in time.  I ordered the sail suite last month from B&B but Carla has not confirmed or charged my account yet.  There is still plenty of time, and I asked her to just bundle it with other orders, so I am not at all worried.  What I am worried about is me getting my part done... :):P

I called the Lake Pepin Campground, got a recording, left a msg, but have not heard back from them yet.  Last year I waited too long to make a reservation and hope to get one this year.  I wonder if they are taking reservations yet, and if not, when do the begin to do so?

Me too.  I hope my Spindrift is ready by then.  There always seems to be something more urgent to deal with than building her.  On the bright side, my shop is finally shaping up for building her, and once assembly starts, it should be done in about 6 weeks, based on previous boats I have built.  I put the order for the sails in last January, but have not seen a charge on the credit card yet, but expect that to happen in time for the sails to be here by May.  I will double check with Carla sometime this week; I keep forgetting until it is way too late to be calling, such as now, almost midnight. 

I suppose I could always bring the Oday 10 instead, and that is my fall back if I do not get her built soon enough.

I am thinking of driving over there on Friday, spending Friday and Saturday nights, leaving sometime Sunday.  My RV is a 28ft. Class C., and I will need a 30amp power hook up since my generator still needs an overhaul or replacement, and sewer, and water.  I will have my two youngest sons with me, and maybe my wife if I can tear her away from work long enough. :)

The Hok-Si-La campground, the base for the messabout, allows tent camping only.  If you check the messabout website at http://tinyurl.com/23aeq2 you will find a section called RV/Trailer.  That has info on a very nice RV camp less than a mile away.

I called the Lake Pepin Campground, got a recording, left a msg, but have not heard back from them yet.  Last year I waited too long to make a reservation and hope to get one this year.  I wonder if they are taking reservations yet, and if not, when do the begin to do so?

Bill, this was my posting which you replied to about having camp sites.  This confused me, which is not hard to do.  We may tent camp instead, but have not decided yet.

Greg.

• 2 weeks later...

Gettin' anxious here. Photo of the river this afternoon. Messabout site is on the far shore at the right of the frame. COE reports 17-29 in. ice. Signs of spring though, lots of wildlife out and about. Eagles tending nests. There's hope.

Greg, any word from the RV park? Things will pick up around here when the river breaks up and the eagle migration hits. Kinda tough on'em right now. Up the hill yesterday chased one off a roadkill skunk!

Bob

post-1111-129497666844_thumb.jpg

Bob, glad you made it through the last batch of storms! We have 36 to 40 inches of ice in the bay right now, but the Coast Guard is going to start breaking on Tuesday for the lakers. Wonder if I could get the Micro Trawler out there with them :o I am planning on being at the Mess About on Friday, took the day off for some thing far more important than work.

Stephen

Hey Stephen, We're both up early. Only momentarily confused by DST!  18 degrees this morning, Yay! Maybe we've seen the last of sub-zero. We didn't get all the snow, but sure been cold.

Ya oughta see the icebreaking routine here. Push a barge up on the ice and let it break down through. In heavy ice might only get a few pushes in during a day. Drive to and from the boat and stay in motels! One year took the better part of a week to get past Pepin (the village).

Great to hear you're gonna make it here this year. Might even get my wife in that big boat.

Bob