pocket cruiser plans ?

chopndrag

The Stevenson's sell plans part time, it seems, so if you are set on the Pocket Cruiser then you may have to wait.  There are not that many PC builders here, but if there are they will speak up.

You might also look at the B&B Yacht Designs Bellhaven if you're looking for a small boat with a cabin.  If the cabin is not that important to you, their Core Sound 15 is a great sailing boat. 

There are other small cabin designs you might consider.  There are several people here who have built other boats  who can chime in with their favorites.

• 6 months later...

G,day Bagneaux,Johno from Bittern Australia.I,ve got weekender plans,will email them to you as soon as I can get the scanner to work,I am a real computer twit.I have almost completed my hull,have to wait for warmer weather to start painting,it gets cold down here at the bottom of Aus,plus we are right on the edge of the roaring 40s.Hope to get plans to you ASAP.Hope Stevenson dont crack it .

G,day Bagneaux,Johno from Bittern Australia.I,ve got weekender plans,will email them to you as soon as I can get the scanner to work,I am a real computer twit.I have almost completed my hull,have to wait for warmer weather to start painting,it gets cold down here at the bottom of Aus,plus we are right on the edge of the roaring 40s.Hope to get plans to you ASAP.Hope Stevenson dont crack it .

Please don't do that...the designer earns a living off of his or her designs. Each set of plans is a licence to build (1) one boat unless otherwise stated by the designer. Building a boat and then selling or even giving away the plans so that another boat can be made is considered morally wrong and tatamount to theft. The only way a plan should be shared is if the design is offered free ( and so stated by the designer) but it should still be credited as his or her design.

Plans that have been purchased but NOT built can be resold (but shouldn't be for more than was paid for them) or given away without guilt.

Steve Lewis

an amateur designer of free (so far) designs.

Hi ChopnDrag

This is what I posted to CoolGuy's questions:

I recently ordered a set of Vacationer plans via PayPal and received them in two weeks.  I was suitably impressed as I live on the South Coast of Africa.  They also send an invoice.  The DVD also works in ordinary DVD players.

Goto www.paypal.com and create an account if you don't already have one.  You need to link your credit card, just follow their instructions.  Once that is all done login to paypal and click on 'Send Money'.  I dealt with Shannon Stevenson , her email address is shanneen@sbcglobal.net. Add her address and the correct amount of Dollars.  Select Goods and add a brief description of what you want.  Simple as that! 

Cheers

Salty_Dog

Thank you very much for the informations and email address Salty-Dog !

But may be you should edit your messages where you gave the Shannon Stevenson address on the forum - ie: put a "(at)" instead of the "@" and "(dot)" instead of the "." within the email address for instance - because of spam, as we wouldn't want this address disappears, isn't it ?

BTW : I've written to Shannon and I'll inform you about the story.

Best Regards,

Guy.

Just wanted to pipe up as a Pocket Cruiser guy.  I no longer own my PC, having sold it when I moved down to Georgia, but I definitely miss that boat.  The advantages of the PC aren't self evident and have to be experienced.  The boats listed as alternatives just aren't the same.

The pluses:  The beam to length ratio makes for a big/little boat.  It has the stability of a Vacationer but the easy towing/setup of a weekender (with cat rig even easier).  The stability allowed my young kids to wander around freely without me sqwaking about them staying on the windward side of the boat.  Though it is only a 14' boat it has a much bigger cockpit and cabin than the 16' Weekender and is comfortable for two people to overnight on for several days.  Compared to the AD 14, AD16 or Belhaven, the PC is a very easy build and makes a great first time boat to get the family enthused about sailing.  Build it, then take your time on a bigger boat as you won't be able to build just one.

The minuses:  The beamy hull requires more power to get her going which means larger sail and, like the Vacationer, Oars aren't good for secondary propulsion.  I would use my modified rudder (barndoor) to scull her to shore on low-wind days.  Also, with her flat bottom and shallow draft she floats on top of the water like a cork which makes her uncomfortable on windless days with a lot of motorboat chop.  Wind in the sails steadies her down quite a bit though. 

There are a few designs that approach (but not meet) the ease of build and low cost of the PC while possibly supplying a better ride in chop and a little more room.  One of them is FatCat 2 (http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/fatcat2/index.htm).  I would be tempted to redesign this with a centerboard in place of the leeboard but just for looks.  Otherwise, she has a multichine shape that should ride better but be more complex to build (especially finishing out the cabin since you have to do more than put carpet on the floor.

Some pictures of my PC:

My PC "SuitsUs" parked next to the Vacationer "Rudunyet".  Shows how roomy the PC is

on%20shore.jpg

Sailing pictures showing the big (bigger than the plans) gaff main:

normal_suitsus6.jpgsuitsus2.jpg

Another pocket Cruser guy. I built and launched Magnolia about three years ago. Nice boat, not fast but solid. I had a Mini cat (Pearl) and got to old to do all that jumping around, and swimming. The P/C was a dream come true for me. Easy build even for me,easy to sail even for me again. Not at all tender, I am a 220 pounder and I can walk up the side of the cabin to go forward with no problems. I think you will be pressed to beat it for first build, cost,easy to rig, sailability ect.

I know it doesn't have the sleek lines of the Vav. or the weekender, but it does have more usable room and some of us like a little more meat on our ladies than others. Bud ;D

Interesting pocket cruiser guys, enjoy and just think you are very lucky because it is just impossible from now to order plans, as Stevenson Projects is unreachable. Even Shannon Stevenson cannot help because she does not work for Stevenson Projects anymore.

Very, very frustrating :-(

ATB,