locating builders

Dick White

I am wondering if there are any builders of weekenders on this site that are located in New England. I am located in western MASS.  I started my weekender  a couple of years ago and have reached a point atwhich I could use some advise.  I am contemplating removing the cuddy cabin to give me more space in the cockpit.  It would be nice to talk to some one in person who knows a lot more about boat building that I do.

Here's a link to my photos of SURPRISE's build:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58781034@N00/sets/72157600449973289

They should provide lots of answers as to how I did it. 

The Weekender was the first boat I built, and since I knew nothing about boat design I would have to say that I was just plain lucky that it turned out so well.  To others who want an open Weekender I would suggest buying both the Weekender and Super Skipjack plans, see how the Stevensons designed their Super Skipjack and then transfer the ideas to the Weekender.  They're clever guys who design good boats. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, new user here.

Are you aware of something I am not ???... in other words, do you know where I can get Super Skipjack plans? I have been checking their site regularly and haven't seen them yet. I know there are a ton of people who want to build it, I'm one of them!

And it would be really cool if the plans were downloadable. I don't even know it that's a good idea, but it seems like it would be. 

Peter moved from CA to Tx sometime back and completed the design work on the Super Jack.  As I recall Mike and he built a prototype for sea trials which went well.  Mike says she is a nice boat.  There were delays in the production run of the plans having to do with leasing property in CA where Mike was living.  Something has changed as many folks are saying they can't contact Mike for orders and customer service, etc...  It is my suspicion that the building lease or something unexpected has came up and Mike is unable to maintain the pace of servicing orders at the moment.  This had happened previously to this episode in the years that I have been associated with these boats.  I know it is a pain but please be patient and they will be back.  I suspect the whole operation might be going to Texas now but I don't know that for sure.  Those of you who have send money and are waiting for plans fear not.  The Stevenson's have always honored their orders even if the shipping and acknowledgement was a slow.  This is a small family business and for Mike at least it is part time.  Peter is in semi retirement now and I believe limiting his involvement to design work.  Hopefully Mike will read this and bring us all up to date on Stevenson Projects.