Hello All!!

Russ Sylvester

Hey everyone!

Remember me? It's been quite a while since I've been on here. Was poking around looking for a book and found my vacationer plans that I bought shortly after I finished 'Opus' and that got me to thinkin' about everyone here.

Who all is still here? Is Konrad still slowly killing himself? Did Bruce ever finish his boat? Is the BYYB still going? Who still has their weekender or vacationer? Still sailing them? I still sorely miss mine. Every time I varnish something or mix up a batch of epoxy I start remembering Opus and get a little misty :'(. Unfortunately I lost track of where she ended up. The guy who bought her from me lived in Kansas(??) and he had some sort of medical problem shortly afterwards and sold her to some guy further west. I did find a small picture several months ago of her after being repainted.

We're still sailing. We bought an O'Day 23 just before selling Opus and named her 'Second Star' (as in "Second star to the left and on 'til morning"). We've been doing a LOT of sailing trying to move our education along. I'll probably be kicking off my six pack ticket starting in another month or two. We want to start bareboat chartering in the next year or so. Our next big step is to move up to at least a 32-34 footer :) so that we can eventually start heading south to the keys and over to the Bahamas. We'll see where we head to from there.

I still get comments from the neighbors about building Opus in the driveway. I even had a few make the comment that they wished I would do another so they could watch. The boss put a FAST nix on that one. She says I can only own one boat at a time.

Russ Sylvester

Melbourne, Florida

Former builder/skipper of weekender 'Opus'

While there maybe the extra satisfaction of being on the water in a boat that you have personally built, there is also this thing about being on the water in just about anything, which is better than sitting on the hard watching others on the water. So short of being on the water in your own boat and posting inwater shots, share some inwater shots of your present trips to keep many landbound folks pacified while waiting for the spring thaw.

Only one boat at a time?  My wife asked me once just how many boats I thought a man needed, and I said five.

She said I missed entirely that she was asking a rhetorical question, and rolled her eyes.  But I was thinking a sailboat for two or more, a dinghy for gunkholing when you don't have crew, a powerboat for fishing, a little two seater runabout for jetting around when you get the need for speed and a kayak for paddling.  Seemed really reasonable to me.

Then she asked me how many boats a MARRIED man needed, and I had to agree that one was fine.

Hey- at one time LAURA had more boats than I did!!!! Not counting the several we owned together.

SHE'S come home dragging a sailboat on two occasions. ;D

I think your count is pretty well on- except we don't have the runabout. We DO have the small power boat, and two larger sailboats, one of which is being modified ( at her request), two dinghies (one hard, one inflatable) TWO kayaks and TWO small one person sailboats.

oh- and a windsurfer we never use.

So tell your wife that in some cases a married WOMAN needs several boats ;D Cause if you count the two larger sailboats in with her others, she has four. And still has a cedar strip canoe out there somewhere she loaned (or gave, I don't really know which) to her son.

I still have more fishing rods than she does though ;D ;D since she only has four.

I still have my Weekender, Herriot, and I feel responsible for a lot of weekender starts..  Hey if this schmuck can do it.. so can I.  I had a web page presence before the byyb... and think I'm still Boat #1 Page #1 on the Stevenson's builders picture pages.  Both my Weekender and my Mini cup are there.  The mini is probably about 23 or 24 years old by now.. and still floats. 

Started the build July 97 and Launched August 98. 

I didn't sail the weekender at all this last season.  I bought a Sanibel 18 in the Spring and spent all available sailing time Learning that boat.

Gonna Keep Herriot though.. Veteran of 2 trips to the BEER cruise, and other points of interest.    I'm sure that I will sail Herriot this spring

Current inventory.. 2 Birder Kayaks  1 tortured ply canoe,  Weekender, Mini Cup, Sanibel, and a coleman inflatable.

Just do like a guy did on a podcast... Bring home the plans for an ultralight airplane.. she'll then let you have all the boats you want.

John

Hey- at one time LAURA had more boats than I did!!!! Not counting the several we owned together.

SHE'S come home dragging a sailboat on two occasions. ;D

I think your count is pretty well on- except we don't have the runabout. We DO have the small power boat, and two larger sailboats, one of which is being modified ( at her request), two dinghies (one hard, one inflatable) TWO kayaks and TWO small one person sailboats.

oh- and a windsurfer we never use.

So tell your wife that in some cases a married WOMAN needs several boats ;D Cause if you count the two larger sailboats in with her others, she has four. And still has a cedar strip canoe out there somewhere she loaned (or gave, I don't really know which) to her son.

I still have more fishing rods than she does though ;D ;D since she only has four.

Does Laura have a sister?