Roll Over Time

Brent

My CS20 is progressing to the point where I either need to put the decks on next or roll the boat over and finish the hull. I was thinking of rolling the boat over prior to putting the decks on just to keep the weight I will have to wrestle down.

From those who have gone before...any suggestions or concerns?

How about recommendations for a smooth roll over?

Hey Brent,

I should have gotten back quicker, but I've been kinda swamped and trying to catch up on the forum here...

You can do it anytime you like now. It's a nice idea to put the trunk in before the keel goes on, so you do your trunk edge glassing at the same time. This saves you having to roll and re-roll. You can kinda finish up the outside while she is over.

I don't think turning is a big deal - we turn them all the time. Get three or four helpers and over she goes. As long as your gunwales, inwales and bulkheads are in, you can roll her on the ground. Roll her up on one gunwale, let her down upside down. She is strong. Once you learn to do this you can actually do it with two - as once it is on the point of balance one person moves around holds it, then the other comes around. Of course, with a big crew you can turn her in mid-air, but it isn't necessary if you haven't got the man-power.

Graham thanks for the thoughtful comments. Presently I have the centerboard trunk in and glassed. I am working on finishing up the interior epoxy work. There are a few details to attend to that may keep me going for another week in this department. I elected to fillet and glass tape the keel batten which is giving a more finished look to that area. I have put off installing the seat tops while I resolve how I want to finish the seats...neat varnished or painted.

I may proceed to install the decks just because that work can easily be accomplished independent of the weather. Roll over will wait for one of those pleasent spring days.