Merry Christmas

Scott Dunsworth

Merry Christmas to one and all on the B&B forum, even if I am not sailing on a B&B boat. I do read and enjoy you guys' projects. Today was Christmas for me in  alot of ways, having family on the water and under sail, especially away from all of the homemade sweets that have found their way in my house this past week.

christmasevesailing.jpg

Now Garry!

I know that lighthouse exceedingly well.

Portland Headlight.  And, the large rock where the wave is crashing is the same rock the Schooner Annie Mcguire crashed on on a Christmas Eve in 1884.

http://www.mainememory.net/bin/Detail?ln=5726

Judging by the surrounding water though it would seem to me that particular wave was enhanced a wee bit through digital editing.

It looks real enough to me Ray, as I have seen waves do exactly that here on Lake Michigan....about the same size too.  The ocean must have big waves too? ::)  I must admit not having seen that lighthouse in person, so must defer to you, though. :)

Okay, Ray, your point is well made.  I saved the pic then blew it up to pixel sizes.  I am pretty sure you are correct about it being a cloud more than a wave spume.  The wave heights can be seen on the wave at the bottom right, unless maybe it is a reflected wave?  Look at the water draining from the rocks which indicates waves large enough to surge to that high..larger than the wave which I think is a reflected wave.  It is too bad the pic was doctored so badly, but it still makes a great Christmas card and I am glad Garry shared it with all of us.  Gee, after a glass or two of Christmas cheer, who could tell? :D

Merry Christmas,

Greg :)

The pic may well have not been doctored.  I think that effect might be gotten with a small aperture, a fast film, and a long exposure.  The long exposure tends to blur fast moving small droplets and would accentuate spray making it look more like a single mass (or cloud).

Having said that - Merry Christmas.

I thought that was just spray from the wave rolling in on the right. Certainly not a 20 or 30 footer. Here is a pic from Morro Bay with spray coming over the breakwater. The waves themselves were not topping the breakwater but the spray looks impressive. In either case, beautiful, chilly, and I'm glad I'm warm in Florida!

Merry Christmas!

53861213.jpg

Garry, that is a good shot and explains the situation as I first thought it was on the card.  It also looks more real than the card.  This has been a fun discussion to puzzle it out and a good way to avoid going outside to do chores in the cold.

It is 31F, windchill 26F here now, but sunny for a change.  I envy your Florida weather but not enough to come out of hibernation to travel down that way. The RV is in winter storage and the folks controlling that have left for Florida last week in their RV.  Maybe I should have hitched a ride?;D