Hello, new member, new builder of a small wood dinghy

Oyster

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep the stand works great, even on top of some long lengths of wood for flat storage, too. With a wood floor, you can always run a fastener to hold in place when you are pushing on framing and the likes. The boat is all primed and ready for decking and the rails installed.

Pq3hseO0.jpg

Oyster,

Thanks! :)  Those two pictures and the explainations were great.  I now understand your stand system and am thinking of something very similar for the Spindrift 12.

If the bottom spreaders had wheels it would be easy for a one man shop to move the boat.  Another thought is that with some slight modification, the boat could be set hull up for easy bottom work.

I like this stand idea! :)

I am getting into the fun stuff. In small hulls, limited deck space is at a premium and I do not like stumbling over anything. I always like my stuff out of the way, and especially dry when using the boat in salt water. This is what I have done with my anchor, fuel tank and life preservers, since weight foward is also a plus for the boat with the small engine too installed in a well, removing some of the planing bottom too with the additional weight of the comparible four stroke engines. By comparison, most are almost double of the two strokes, but use little fuel, quiet and very clean running, which I like very much for creeking and birding in remote areas.

I will hang the anchor from the foward deck beams and its simple to remove it when needed. Its a 2.5 lb. danforth thats great in sand with  a small link of chain. I install a dog that pivots across the anchor to hold it in place, notching the foward bracket for the shank. I use 6mm and deck the boat too.

Pq3jCckA.jpg

Pq3jCePJ.jpg

aV3T1SSA.jpg

aV3T29kA.jpg

That boat looks nicer every day Mike.  I like the anchor and gas stowage too.  I've got anchors stowed forward in my boat (hanging on the forward bulkhead) but although they're fairly easy to get to they are a little tricky to stow.  Your way looks better than mine.

It worked so well, but I wanted a bit more space foward for my throwable seat cushion out of the way, too. I lost about eight inches in deck but the space was not really much but gained back some space with the fuller foward area. I still get the foward thwart, just will move it back a bit. Actually Ken, I wanted a creek fishing boat too, but could no longer wait for a builder to build me one of those fishing Kayaks. ;):P So this is the reason for seeing fish on the prototype one as I had no other choice.

DSC03444.jpg

DSC03434.jpg

yeah, yeah- a likely excuse- you just wanted to go catch a trout din't'cha? Fess up now ;D ;D

After New Years, I'm gonna start getting my yak wet again- with the fly rod leaning in the coaming vee up front- I feel the need to feel a trout or red tugging on the line  ;D

Nice job Mike. I love the anchor arrangement. On our sharpie I built a floatation/storage box forward and reserved room under it for the anchor. I intend to add four half cleats on the after face so I can wind the anchor line around them and have it up off the deck.

LOL! Actually, given the chance to go fishing, I take advantage every chance I can, using whatever means avaliable these days. When all else fails, I go sailing, like on Christmas Eve and Christmas day with the kids in town. Worse yet, though, I even had to cut the grass sat. cutting into my offtime of fishing this time of year in the shallows.

When I built the seats, I wanted the complete interior to be removable so I could service it and also making it a bit literweight to turn the hull over for storage on top of the truck rack for portability and on top of a small midsize cabin cruiser. ;).

But I also wanted some additional storage under the seat and the seats were also built with liteweight materials. SO i included a nice wide box in both seats, but had to taper the foward one because of the ribs. So I said why not make a nice additional dry area for storage of my wife's bird books and paperwork and made a false bottom that gave me my support all the way down to the decking too. If you look you can see these small details that also adds dry storage to the boat along with some day storage as well. I use a shackle and remove my anchor line from the anchor, and also keep an additional fifty foot line in the dummy storage for us dummies when we need to anchor off the beach a ways in anticipation for tide drops. I also can use it for towing, heaven forbid if I get stuck somewhere.

DSC03249.jpg

Hey Oyster,

I remember the guy Capt Jake is talking about.  He builds really pretty boats.  I managed to go sailing with him once and I was amazed that we were able to make headway against an outgoing tide with virtually no wind.  Nice guy.  He lived out here on the NC coast.  Where did you say you're located?  Now that I think of it he had a workshop that was laid out a bit like yours.  Not the same, for sure, but similar. ;)

And.....they both seem to live where the sun shines ALL of the time! :)  Holy Popsickles! ;)

I cannot recall ever hearing about or seeing any Popsickles or even Icesickles in or around any of my Holy Boats, where it is always sunny and 72 or on a rare occasion a mear sunny and 42.  ;D Yes, and the grass is always greener on this side of the creek, too, even in Dec.!!!!!

Ken that boat you were speaking about must have one of those ones that walks on water, too. A few of those collector items are still around, too, as I personally witnessed this past week.  8)

• 2 weeks later...

Figured I would keep this on the same thread to show incremental progress.... Update on the 22' Simmons skeleton, I have the chines all in place with the keel glued up and will shape the angles and install the battens that strengthen the bottom next. Limber holes go in too along each side. The chines have a bit of a twist to them. So I laminate three pieces of the one inch stock so its a bit easier. The framing is all genuine Honduras Mahogany in one length which is getting harder to get in long lengths. I had some of the last stuff in 19 feet which gives the boat  fairer curves and shapes. The 3d bottom frames are a bit trickey as each side must be checked in level and fairness. SO I always fair the boat full scale with a 1/4" x 3/4" batten to detect any misfits of the floor frames.

DSC04131.jpg

DSC04126.jpg

DSC04130.jpg