Hello, new member, new builder of a small wood dinghy

Oyster

I would like to say hi and introduce myself. I am new to boats and in the process of building a 12 foot of my own design. I hope that it will not sink when I place it in the water. I have a lot of questions and after reading this forum for a while think that you guys can answer my questions.  :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this was Mike, pulling our respective chains, but it would seem we have a new Oyster. What's 'ya building and Welcome aboard . . .

Yep,  just thought I would pop back with the normal lead ins you know, :-[  ;) since I have some projects going on, one up and coming B&B design along with two Simmons projects and my new dinghy design and was looking for some boat talk. Hope this post finds all you guys warm and your epoxy flowing nicely since we only have three months till springtime, even though we are still catching fish and sailing every chance we get.

This is my present project, a 12 foot look alike Simmons I originally built for a roomy liteweight tender and found that the original boat was an incredible gunkhole boat and had a request for another one as  a gift. The boat works fine with an 8 hp four stroke Yamaha engine and carries two people with plenty of room for fishing gear and cooler too. Thanks

DSC03894.jpg

DSC03878.jpg

DSC03879.jpg

Welcome back Oyster!

I'm glad to see photos from your shop again.

So is this the second skiff.  Number one looks like a great boat (from previous pics I've seen elsewhere) and this one will be too.  Is there anything different you are doing on this one?

Yo Mike,

I thought I might get down for a ride in the little skiff but stuff gets in the way.  I gotta go into the hospital for some back surgery so will be out of circulation for quite a while.  Maybe this is an entrance to professional making money off boats. ;D

When asked what he would do if he won the lottery for $1 millon, the reply was.  "I'm a professional boatbuilder, I'd just keep building boats until it runs out".

Tom, LOL!! Yep a real money making business, wooden boats, especially small ones. Hope your hospital stay is brief. If Ms. Liz needs anything let us know for sure. And if you need some second opinions, I am sure I can find some around here in some of Linda's books. HEHE!!

Yes I did change the boat a bit. I raked the stem back more upright and kept the bottom the same. I also increased the side angle a couple of degrees to achieve a fuller hull for the same bottom. This also gave me a lower finished profile with a bit more room foward actually increasing the storage foward about one and one half inches since this cause the planks to take a different bend.

To make up for a one inch shortfall in the freeboard with the increased angle I increased the width of my last plank, the sheerplank to gain back the freeboard too. I still need to install the rubrails so this will shorten the appearance of the plank. But this also will give me a bit more space for the number boards which needs to be 3 3/4" wide for the 3 inch numbers, giving me a small border all the way around them. WIth the other hull, the number boards just made it.

I may end up with a small steering helm on the side since reaching the tiller handle when I repositioned the seat thwart in the old boat foward when in the boat by myself to shift some weight foward is a bit much for this old guy to sustain with his aged back. Its doable though. SO we shall see when the guy thats getting this hull begins to use it.

Steve, I hope things are well with you and your family and the transplant is holding good.

DSC03907.jpg

DSC03905.jpg

This is just a dummy way to make ribs for a lapstrake hull. Some folks may have seen this but its a down and dirty way to do any inside pattern for almost anything including bulkheads.  Some folks do use a fancy tick stick. But thats just not me. ;) I take a scrap piece of luan 1/4" plywood and clamp to the bottom frame and also use small cutoffs of plywood 1/4" thick and place them at the edges of each offset and srew them in place. I then remove them and transfer the edges to the good stuff.

This takes about one minute at most and then just unscrew them and move along to the next position and do the same. Sometimes each side will have a bit of difference. But I do each station, port or starboard before I move along.

Sometimes I refine the edges and foward angles with my trusty angle grinders, just marking the foward edge with a pencil, sanding to the marks.

I did the complete boat ribs in less than two hours. I always measure and mark the ribs on the insides and back drill a pilot hole since this ribs are only 1/2" thick, only serving to keep the hull sides and hull rigid in glued lapstrake.

DSC03896.jpg

DSC03897.jpg

DSC03898.jpg

I like it too. 

Instead of screws try hot glue, which is a trick learned while building the lobster boat.  Just the normal type, not the industrial grade hot glue.  It works pretty well as long as the template is not banged around sharply.  We used 12 mm Merianti scrap or 1/4 Luan.  The backing board is not needed, just cut small rectangles and then place them into the lapstrake boards and glue them together until the shape is representative.  Of course it was in Michigan winter in a shop heated to about 60F so I do not know if it would work as well in warmer climates.

Hot glue guns, AAAHHHHH, Yep some folks have all the fancy tools but some of us also has a bad tendancy to also get wrapped up in extention cords, too. ;)  ;D The rectangle pieces do not always work in shapely hulls if they are not cut to a fan type shape, since they hit each other if they are too wide. I use a bevel square to take the angle off the chine to the bottom and cut that angle first on the rib in the case of this hard chine hull.

These planks are actually tapered planks fore and aft, even though they are straight edged for several reasons. So this is the reason for the narrower pieces too. But thats for another thread and different day.

Oyster, I think the glued block technique works pretty much the same way as the one you shared and wish I could post a picture of it.  Unfortunately my PC workstation with all the pics of the lapstrake building lost its power supply and has not yet been repaired.  Buried somewhere around here is a backup CD.  When I can get to them again I will start another thread for us to explore these tricks of the trade.  Either one of these is fast for getting the shape right, I think.

Man, I am glad you are back!  This is a pretty boat you are building. :)

Greg  :)

I finally took the boat outside for some needed cleaning and wanting to see the differences in the hull from the original one.

I think there is some improvement in the proportions, but thats just my take on it. The bottom stayed the same, just the stem was righted a bit.

DSC03253.jpg

DSC02914.jpg

DSC03928.jpg

DSC03930.jpg

I also use a dory style painter installed through the top of the stem making it very easy for beaching too. This also eliminates any bow eyes, doubling to secure the boat while underway on a small trailer, keeping in the traditions of simplicity.  I oversize a hole and use a copper tube flared on each side fitted flush to the sides and will install with thickened epoxy around the tube and letting this harden. The flare locks it in and this gives me a solid and clean hole for the line with no down the road water issues in the stem. I plan on window dressing the rails with varnished woods, using mahogany sandwiching with cedar.

DSC03925.jpg

This is the rail makeup.

DSC02895.jpg

Yah Mike,  I am thinking about using a traditional line painter on Lapwing also but I will need to run it through the forward end of the planking and stem since the cap is much smaller than yours.

I don't go to the hospital until Feb 13, which mercifully isn't on Friday, but the operation is kind of involved,  Either 6 or 8 screws and maybe a microprocessor ;D.  Hopefully a joke.  I always said I could resist anything but pain or temptation.  Trouble is, I found out that if you get enough of the first , the opportunity for the second disappears.

Oyster,

That is an interesting boat stand....like something for displaying art work. :)  How stable is it?

Greg.

You have heard about the ugly girl thats one of the best friends to have? Well what you see is the best thing going for this hull build and for finish work. What you see amounts to reclaimed from the recycle bin wood, forming a very efficent and effective rig that I can adjust and will never stumble over walking around the boat.

Its just plain corney looking. I made it so I use a 4x4 running along the centerline that has a notch in the end that holds the stem rigid and right angle to the keel. I run in a long fastener through the bottom face of the stem that gets the false stem glued to it. After framing the boat, I can run the fastener out and then remove the bottom framing and planking righting it up using the outer keel to rest in the notch for the 4x4 after removing it, keeping it stiff and correct for the side planking.

DSC03931.jpg

DSC03932.jpg

WOW Tom, thats a lot to look foward to when you enter in Feb. Ouch!!!Take care........