Moccasin 2 and Birder weight limits?

Ericthenorse

Ok, I am looking to build either a Birder 2 or a Moccasin 2.  On the website, compacity for both boats is listed as "2 adults"  Is there a more specific weight limit than that??? seems to me to be kind of vague.  My wife is an adult, and weighs about 130lbs, so two of her would be 260lbs.... I weigh in at 285lbs, so two of me would be 570 lbs :o...  Would either of these boats be OK as a single for a 285 man???

Well-the nicest thing about B and B boats is Graham and Carla- give him a call at the number listed on the website and ask him. If what he has doesn't really suit you, he HAS been known to modify a design for someone..

Really great folks to deal with- he's interested in happy people having his boats.

It is hard to give absolute answers to inexact questions. People come in different sizes as well as different weights and capabilities.

Both boats will easily do what you need. The paddler in the Moccasin 2 weighs 190 and is 6' 2" tall and you can see that she is floating light. She takes around 125# to push her down 1" and could easily be put down 3 more inches.

The other picture shows a Moccasin 1 loaded down in expedition trim on a trip to northern Canada. She did the job just fine.

post-186-129497664589_thumb.jpg

post-186-129497664596_thumb.jpg

"Is there a more specific weight limit than that??? Seems kind of vague.. "

Sounds pretty exact to me...  ;D

Let me be more specific then.... What is the displacement at the designed water line on the Moccasin 2?

What is sinkage?..... Already answered... 125#

What is maximum displacement?

I realise that people come in different sizes... My example proves it... That is why I questioned the use of "2 adults" as you explanation of compacity..... The point I was making is that My wife and her twin(if she had one) is a whole different weight class than me and my twin(which I DO have..) Both would be two adults....  If the DWL on the boat is somewhere between 250 and 300, then I am in the ballpark...

I love the look of your boats, and would really like to build one as my first foray into boat building....

P.S. I hope I am using all the right terms.... I have mostly done the nautical version of "Bench Racing" up till now... But being a big dude, I have to worry about sinkage and sinking :D

At 245 -250 I found the 12' Moccasin a bit tender and it felt over gross, especially if I took along anything heavier than a short verbal message. My girlfriend loves it.

The 13' Fisherman was a noticeable improvement, but even with my great skill and sense of balance, (Is there a tongue-in-cheek emoticon) I couldn't truly relax when the fish weren't biting.  I think you're going to be very happy with a double. One thing I noticed with both boats was how easily they moved. A few strokes would get me to the next place to fish. Then I'd zoom right past the point I wanted because the darn thing just doesn't stop. I had to actually make a back stroke to stop it.

... I see that you designed a 14 footer for another forum member... Is that something you would sell more plans for???

After reading Bills posts and look at his photos I have to agree and ask the same. That boats looks like exactly what I have been looking for.  Are the plans available?

Yes, I have the plans.

In keeping with my policy of build and water testing my boats thoroughly before I unleash them on the public, I had not announced this design until I heard from Bill on how she performed. I am very pleased that she lived up to his expectations.

During my Watertribe experiences and talking to experienced paddlers I had been thinking of a larger Moccasin when Bill contacted me and explained his needs. I was impressed with his experience with the 12' Moccasin and felt confident of his understanding what he needed. I can't wait to build my own.