Core Sound 20: Hull #103

Alan Stewart

Jeff,  If not the NC Challenge 2009, there's always 2010.  The race pits one's own creativity, skills, and preparedness against the challenges of the course.  So there are lots of winners.  Secondarily it's a race among friends. That's how I see it.      

The capsize...  Uhh... oh yes, that's right, I meant to do that!   Almost.  Not really.  

Glad we can compare notes.  Next time I think I'll be better mentally prepared, having "been there" before (with the CS20), and may try to snap a photo or two of the recovery process.  

One thing I might do differently:  the stays'l halyard was very handy right there on the mizzen waiting to be used and while I was near the thwart I could have easily tied a fender to it and could have run the fender out horizontally all the way "up" to the top of the mizzen mast.  My intuition is that that would have absolutely been enough to prevent going turtle.  Might be an unnecessary waste of time,  but it would not take more than half a minute to do.  

--Paul  

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I send a float to the masthead that way as a preventive when I feel a bit close to the "edge," especially when I'm single-handing way out, and a bit doubtful of getting aide quickly.  Alternatively, big pool noodle can be tied to the mainmasthead when stepping, then the other end brought to the mizzenmasthead with the staysl halyard, making a substantial float that shouldn't have too much windage sailing to weather.

Paul

Your report appears very authentic. Lots of incredible detail even photos.

But

There were no mosquitoes.

we never saw another mosquito. 

We never saw a mosquito.

Very funny for a minute you had me believing the whole thing.

I was on a kayaking trip that weekend paddling around Cedar and Piney Islands.  I think we were keeping the little buggers too busy to bother Paul and Alan :)  There were many thousands of mosquitos where I was, but none bothered us once we were about 50 yds from shore.

Dawn

Thanks, Paul. 

I seem to remember that the National Mosquito research enter is on Cedar Island.

Have you made any correlation with the current in the Harlow Canal and the tides?

Look forward to seeing you in a few weeks.  I would like to see more Core Sounds showing up -- it's their natal water!

Doug

• 11 months later...

Dawn and I  just started a blog for posts about our "Dawn Patrol" trip reports, related maintenance / projects, etc.  

http://cs20dawnpatrol.blogspot.com

You are welcome to come and take a virtual ride on the "Dawn Patrol".  

--Paul

(photos below by crew of the Welsford Pathfinder "Spartina")

post-1353-129497703167_thumb.jpg

post-1353-129497703188_thumb.jpg

post-1353-129497703201_thumb.jpg

Based on our scouting trip,   my "current" theory is that Graham Byrnes' theory is correct.   Got a pencil handy?   Well.....  it all depends on a rather complicated nonlinear system of hydrodynamic, gravitational, and meteorological differential equations.  Solving for "x",  the conclusion is this:  it is primarily the tides at the mouth of Harlow Creek that control current on that end of the canal,  and it is primarily winds over the Neuse River and Pamlico Sound that control current in the Club Foot Creek end.  Thus, the model for this system is two water basins connected by a straight canal.  Water level in one basin is controlled by tides, while water level in the other basin is controlled by wind (and rain).  For example, you can imagine what happens in Club Foot Creek if the winds (and rains) fill the Neuse River to overflowing.  While on the other end the tides oscillate up and down and Harlow Creek and surrounding marsh alternately fill up and drain out.  I suppose what happens in the canal depends on the timing and magnitudes of the levels in the basins at each end.  That's how I understood Graham's comment and our observations were consistent with that theory.  I'm sure this info will help you plan your strategy precisely.  

--Paul

So to paraphrase,  for planning purposes one can safely assume that the water in the canal will generally be flowing one direction or the other at varying velocities.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yep, the ramps at the lake (the Park-managed ones on the south end near me, at least) close at, or shortly after, dark. You can park overnight if you're staying on the lake, but your vehicle will be locked in in that case. I'm usually off the lake well before they close the gates, but once or twice I have seen the Park folks heading to close the gates just as I was leaving.

The bigger issue for me is just being able to keep to a schedule without having to stay near the ramps if I have something else that needs to be done on the same day as a sail outing. I can venture further up the lake and know that the motor will still get me back on time if I lose my winds, etc. Basically, more schedule flexibility, just as Paul describes it.

Sorry to hear you may not make the B&B messabout. I hope things will turn around soon. I still say that you could just use your oars to row yourself to NC for cheap.  :)  Or I could FedEx my motor to you if you promise to return it.

Yep, the ramps at the lake (the Park-managed ones on the south end near me, at least) close at, or shortly after, dark. You can park overnight if you're staying on the lake, but your vehicle will be locked in in that case. I'm usually off the lake well before they close the gates, but once or twice I have seen the Park folks heading to close the gates just as I was leaving.

Geesh you keep flailing about for excuses why you need a motor.  First it is too hot,  than it is the current,  than the ramps closing at night...

Sorry to hear you may not make the B&B messabout. I hope things will turn around soon. I still say that you could just use your oars to row yourself to NC for cheap.  :)  Or I could FedEx my motor to you if you promise to return it.

Can't afford to take the time off even if I drove down...