Veneer planking?

Guest ib1boatnut

Guest ib1boatnut

I like the look of planking on the weekender just curious if a veneer could be used for the effect. Epoxy should be used I guess. (you folks had me sold on epoxy but the guys where I get my resin swore that advanced uv iso resin was just as good  ??? should have asked how many wood boats they built.) I will get some for glue ups and such. Don't know if I will try this just a thought.

Your poly resin guys are talking out their butts, in regard to its abilities compared to epoxy. The numbers are easily comparable, just pick a manufacture and have a look see.

Weekender would look great as a brightly finished lapstrake or carvel. The project would entail considerable additional problem solving, but wouldn't be un-doable. I'd vote for the lapped version for looks and you get a slight performance gain to boot. A real glued lap build for Weekender, would also shed a fair amount of weight so, she'd gain even more performance potential. John Brooks has a good book on the subject of glued lap builds, it would be a wise investment if going this route.

On the other hand if just after the look, a thin veneer (maybe a 1/16") could serve the same aesthetic with less fuss.

Go for it . . .

Guest ib1boatnut

Thanks par I think I found the book,

How to Build Glued Lapstrake Wooden Boats

Author: John Brooks

Should arrive soon, too late for this boat  :'( I would have to use the phony method this time.

I have plans for the Skipjack, and have had the same idea... I plan on using ply for the sides, but half the thicknes called for, then adding "fake strakes" to the side to give it a more "salty" look...  I worry about just using strakes because so much of the hull rigidity depends on the strength of the side pannels...But heck, it is such a small boat, I might just have to build several to see what works..  In the bay I sail in, if it sinks, I can still walk home... ;D (Morro Bay)

Instead of fake lapped planking, you should consider real glued lapped planking, which will maintain the strength necessary and provide the lapped hull you desire. You'll have to "line off" planks, but you'd have to do that with fake ones too. Glued lap is very strong and offers more longitudinal strength then the regular flat panels. It's not a particularly hard conversion, though considerably more difficult then the Skipjack build as designed.