Duck Flat Spring School - oughtred, storer, white, CLC, Bear Mountain, redmond

boatmik

Howdy,

Just finished helping to instruct at the DuckFlat Spring boatbuilding school in OZ.  I took around 600 photos of different steps in the building of the different boats (link below for all pictures)

1504745520_47e24d3d5f.jpg

This time round there are 10 projects - all different - chosen by the builders.  Some clinker/lapstrake, some plywood, some stitch and glue.

The designers and boats represented are:

Storer (ie Me) - Goat Island Skiff, Eureka Canoe

Oughtred - MacGregor canoe, Acorn Skiff, Feather Pram

CLC - LT17

Bear Mountain - Rob Roy

Redmond - Whisp

Joel White - Nutshell

Almost everyone has not built a boat before.  A couple from Tasmania have built glassfibre canoes before but have gone classy with the Bear Mountain Rob Roy built in the Chinese lightweight timber Paulownia instead of cedar strips.  Cedar has become very expensive so a cheaper alternative is welcome.

1492356685_7c912a2eae.jpg

Also some pics of Greenland Paddles and some quite pretty plywood bladed paddles with properly designed shafts.

I hope the pictures prove useful.  The reservoir is here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boatmik

- look for the set on the right called, strangely enough,

Duck Flat Spring Boatbuilding School.

Best Wishes

Michael

What a great program, Michael!  I went ahead and moved the post here to the Main Forum so it could get a bit more exposure to the "regulars".  There's a "placeholder" link there that will direct people here; there's a lot of woodworking tips in your pictures, but also some great boatbuilding tips as well:

1538723399_f629e579bb_m.jpg  1539579604_ea838db91c_m.jpg

All the projects look great.  You guys are much neater than I ever am!

• 5 weeks later...

Aw - cheers guys!

I was slightly worried that it would look a bit like a commercial - the point was the resource!  I have been through the photos and pulled out and commented on the Goat Island Skiff ones - the link for that is still in the same place.  I will separate out more and comment on them too as I get the time.