Progress report

Barry Pyeatt

We'll see if I can adjust to this new format.

A few progress photos of my Weekender, Spiritwind.   Didn't get much opportunity to work on things this year.  But I did fabricate the slat seats and get some of the cockpit work finished.

The slat seats are a result of wanting more room in the cockpit for my long legs, a more comfortable seat than a flat glassed board and access to the space behind the original seat back area.  The end result is that the slat seats give a little as you move about on them, they are slanted outwards towards the hull sides and that gives more support to the thighs and makes it more secure when the boat is working upwind or on a broad reach.  The open access below the seats will make it possible to keep an ice chest in the cockpit.  The open seat backs will have foam cushions placed over them as will the slat seats themselves.

The slat seats are fabricated from old growth Western Red Cedar.  Very tight grain wood and all quarter sawn.  The slats are 3/4X1 1/2 and double doweled into the framework which is all double dowel construction.  Then sealed with hot boiled linseed oil and then after curing completely for a month or more varnished.  They are held inplace by velcro tabs which makes them removable for storage or cleaning of the cockpit. 

They more than passed the "significant other" comfort testing.

Now to get the rest of the trim and woodwork pieces put together and the rigging done.  Have all the components, just need time to get it done. 

aV1PTkh9.jpg

PqoqfMS.jpg

aV1PTTc9.jpg

aV1PT_GA.jpg

aV1PUm7S.jpg

aV1PUoD0.jpg

That makes a lot of sense in a Weekender or other small boat ... the small foot well is often a problem while sailing ... although I have been grateful for something to prop my foot against on occasion; I wonder if the front edge of the opposing seat is enough of a "prop" for that?

We could never really get two people back near the stern in the Weekender due to the foot well size.  I didn't have hatch covers and often stuck my feet in the hatch while under way.  So I can see how that will improve comfort.

Thanks for the nice comments. 

Scott,

I love what you have done with the little cat boat.  The seats are perfect for it.  I have a friend with a 15' cat boat that is just beginning to do a restoration on it.  It was built in Maine in the early 1920's and was moved to the West Coast in the 1960's.  It looks like it was never left in the water for any extended periods of time.  Has to get good and wet for a few days/weeks before it tightens up well.  But he needs to totally strip it down to bare wood and replace a few frames ,  thwarts, the top rails, seats and rebuild the centerboard slot.  I forwarded the photo of your work to him.  Now he is energized and loves what you have done.

When I was laying out these seats, I had built them and had them ready to finish with glass with closed in compartments, finished backs, essentially to the plans and with lift lids in the seats.  But it didn't feel right.  I'm 6'2 and not exactly a trim 240#.  After sailing with Capt. Jake on Fire Escape and his seat modifications, I felt he was on the right track. He has nice foot/leg room, even with the tiller.  So... I tore mine out and started over.  Figured that was as good  time as any. And only probably set me back a year on finishing.

These turned out quite well and are really comfortable.  We took several different thickness and density foam sheets out and tried them and have decided on what we want for cushions for the back rests as well as for the benches themselves. 

So, no launch this year.  Will do everything possible to have the rigging done by early Spring and get this baby launched.  I have been given a June 13th. deadline to go sailing in it or move it somewhere else and essentially go sailing alone.  Would rather not do that, the moving it somewhere else part. ::)  Or the sailing alone part either. :(

They don't actually take all that long to fabricate once you have things figured out as to what you are going to do.  Joining with dowels makes for extremely strong joints, but is a little work to get them all lined up right, even with a good jig.  Especially when only one end is square to the frame.  So it does get interesting.  But like some of the other "projects" that have been added to Spiritwind, they are fun and challenging and "OH so satisfying" to complete satisfactorily.

If these can help to inspire some other builders, then that is the purpose.  Be happy to give some hints to anyone that wants help.