Fix leaks with what ?

timnphx

I have a small wooden boat I build a few years ago and it has the sailboat trunk for a daggerboard.  I had it out a few weeks back and after about 2 1/2 hrs of use was almost ankle deep in water.  I think the only place it could leak is at the Trunk for the dagger-board.  The wood has epoxy-fiberglass coating on hull inside and out.  My question is for the small seams at wood where I think the leaks are, would it be smart to use the same epoxy used in construction.  I am thinking of using a thickner to make a paste for filling around all of the joints.  I have the West System resin 105 and harder 206 and also have some Precipitated Silica Visco-Fill II and also have Microspheres.  See my trunk that needs repair for leaks in image.

Pq5K_HJ.jpg

Keep sanding  ;)  strip her down good and maybe get some strips of clouth. I'm not the expert, but I have had some good luck fixing leaks.

How does the wood look inside the box?  Seperation? Softness at the base? Try using an awl to poke around.

I would wonder if the wood had been totally encapsilated in epoxy, then got a leak, did H2O seep in and for how long? Maybe put some heat on the area to make sure it is really dry.

Looks like solid construction, in the photo and FUN sailing.

How about another picture of the outer hull? so we can see her lines?