I GET TO ASK A QUESTION!!

P Doug (WA)

I don't often get a chance to ask a question on this forum because I am only building a Stevenson mini-cup and doing it very very slowly, but I do have one.

I am starting on the rudder box and was reviewing the plans last night.  It says to attach it to the boat with "barrel bolts".  I wasn't sure what that was so I looked it up.  This is what I found.  Is this correct?  Is there a method as simple but better? 

post-23-129497662777_thumb.jpg

I would suggest using hardware that was designed for the application. The Stevensons drew most of this stuff up before internet orders and cheap shipping. Save your self the headache and use stuff designed for boat building, Duckworks has a great selection of hardware at unbeatbale prices and they now have rudder hardware for Weekenders. Check it out.

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/p-g/weekender/index.htm

Happy customer and not a salesmen.

Jim

NF 15 "Primrose"

I can heartily recommend the Duckworks hardware. The photo there is of the prototype hardware which is on the Weekender I built. (I can't say my boat because I sold her.) The drawing below is not the right hardware, though. I drew that to show chuck what I needed to have happen. The photos show the right stuff.

This hardware provides a better hinge than the eyebolts as called for on the Weekender and I'm sure would be much stronger than the barrel bolts for the Mini Cup.

I also liked the fact that I could remove the rudder box without any tools.

The barrel bolts worked well for me for many years on my MiniCup.  Just make sure the screws are into something solid on the transom, not just the 1/4" plywood.  This part is subject to a fair bit of force.  Also, take the "knob" out of the upper one (I think that was the fixed one) and use another screw to hold the pin up.  Finally, you'll probably find that you'll need to cut a notch in part of the rudder case to allow for you to operate the lower barrel bolt.