The joy of giving....a boat

hangflydany

My sister and my brother in law came to visit us and check the canoe. I tried to have

the canoe completely done but I could not finish it in time. Still have to varnish the

interior, make and install the seats and make the double paddles. But those minor details

were not going to stop us from enjoying a day on the water. I quickly made a couple of

temporary ugly looking seats from some scrap wood and with the paint barely a day old 

they went canoeing.

They had a blast, so much that at one point the wind picked up quite a

bit and a wave hit them on the side splashing water all over and threatening to capsize

them, ( the seats were also too high I think and that did not help matters).

Their smiles went they came back and listening to their adventure was my   

reward.  A happy day indeed.

Here are some pics of David (brother in law) and my sister Cecilia with their new Moccasin 2 canoe

Daniel

post-1102-129497662095_thumb.jpg

post-1102-129497662102_thumb.jpg

post-1102-129497662114_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments guys, actually I am trying to finish it. In a couple of days we'll be driving to my sister's place in Stratford, Ontario to bring her the canoe and spend some time with the family. Hopefully she'll get to use it some this season before our dreaded Canadian winter arrives.

All is left is to varnish the interior and finish making and installing the seats. The seats are taking me a little longer than expected, have the frames done and the cleats glued to the boat. Those cleats actually made me sweat, gluing them and ensuring they were perfectly aligned so the seats would seat level in all directions.

I never did any type of woodwork and was never known to be the handyman type so many times I end up re-inventing the wheel. Nevertheless I am really enjoying boatbuilding and already dreaming of my next boat which I hope to keep  ;D, as the first one went to my Dad and the second to my sister.

Daniel