Lively - Anchor Locker/Drawer

I have just completed a new Anchor Locker/Drawer for my Lively and thought you all might be interested in seeing it.

I wanted to be sure that my CS 17 "Lively's" 11 lb. Bruce anchor is readily available but also out of the way.  So I took some plywood left over from the boat construction and made a locker/drawer.  The size is determined by the space and shape available under the forward seat deck. Just for fun I coated the bottom with epoxy graphite to make it slide in and out easier.

The measurements for it are: 13.5 in. wide, 21 in. long and various heights depending on the space.  The Aft heights are 11 3/4 in on center side and 9 inches on the port side.  The forward measurements must be determined by the boat bottom slanting up and inward.

The red interior was selected specifically because I just happen to already have the paint.

The small runners on the bottom are made to fit slightly to port of the stringers. 

What you cannot see but is vitally important is that I have tied the bitter end to the alternative mast post.

If you look carefully in the 01 photo you can see how the bottom which is upside down slants as it goes back.  This is necessary to follow the contours of the boat bottom.

Dale

post-181-129497660234_thumb.jpg

post-181-129497660236_thumb.jpg

post-181-129497660238_thumb.jpg

post-181-12949766024_thumb.jpg

Nifty bit of work, Dale!  If you hadn't told us about the scrap wood and leftover paint, I wouldn't have believed you hadn't planned it come out just so. 

I've experimented a bit with my anchors.  I started with a special frame on the foredeck on which the rode could be faked (before I realized all I had to do to keep it untangled was drop it in a bucket).  Then I cut down a bucket to fit through the hatch to stow the whole thing in the forepeak.  Though neater than storing on deck, I didn't like heaving all that dripping braided nylon (which holds water like a sponge!) into my nice clean dry forepeak, bucket or no.  Then, deciding I wanted to be able to anchor from the cockpit while single-handing, I tried a scheme in which the anchor line ran from the bucket in the cockpit through a carabiner clipped on to the bow ring.  (It worked ok initially, but often fouled in the second use and I often ended up dragging a length of loose rode under a chine.)  I found the anchor and rode took up too much room in the cockpit.  Now that I've traded my various spray dodgers and tents for a cabin with a walk-through slot top so I have easy access to the foredeck, I'm planning to go back to keeping the anchor up there.  As long as I have a little room to leeward, I can heave-to, making single-handed anchoring and retrieval a fairly relaxed affair.

Dale said

I have just completed a new Anchor Locker/Drawer for my Lively and thought you all might be interested in seeing it.

I was just going to use a rectangular plastic storage box from the hardware store in the same place. Looks like I'll have to do better now!

Peter HK

Thanks for your comments guys. 

Greg, anybody is free to use the idea.  I am sure I am not the first with it.

Ray,

You don't know how many times I have looked at that photo and wondered the same thing.  It is the camera angle but I am going to replace it with something more representative.  I guess I can have a cat/ketch or schooner whichever angle I present to the viewer.

I have attached another shot taken a Cedar Key in March on her maiden sail.

Dale

post-181-129497660242_thumb.jpg

What I like about your locker is that if you saw it sitting somewhere alone, you would wonder what the heck the builder was thinking of ... angled sides, tapering toward the rear ... but then when you see it slide into the place it fits into, well then you realize the shape is a sign of craftmanship.