Southbound's sails have drawn their first breath at Jordan Lake.

Ken_Potts

Thanks for pleasant ride  on a great boat with good people. (and a nut thrown in). Even in the light wind its obvious how well mannered the boat is. The rig would take a little getting used to, but it seems to have a lot of patience. Also seems that it would never be boring - always little things to master.

Now if only I can convince myself that food and shelter come first- oh yeah that's Martha's job and she's good at it.

Thanks again and just hollar if you 're in need of that ballast -- although it sounds like ballast won't be in short supply. My advantage is that I'm more flexible and sorrier than most of them ballasts out there.

Guest mike.horton

Ken

'Tis a beautiful boat!  The name fits perfectly.  I can't wait to get to your neck of the woods and provide a bit of ballast myself!  I enjoyed the story a lot also. 

Congratulations!

Mike

Phil,

Do it - Skip work and go sailing!  ;D

Inboil and Remod,

We ought to all get together and sail and talk boats when I get back in town (a one-boat messabout?) ::)

Mike,

Thanks for coming along on the first float (before the rig was ready) and helping to name the boat.  I'll try to have another batch brewed and ready to drink next time you're around.

Ken,

I actually will be skipping work next Friday and the following Monday for a trip up to Lake Granby. It's probably the best sail / camping lake in the state. The altitude makes it interesting as well. A while back someone posted a shot of a Cape Dory Typhoon from my site on this BB. I haven't figured out how to do that yet, but here's the link.

http://www.pmimage.com/sail/f10.html

It's really a beautiful place.

-Phil

• 2 weeks later...

I've been away from computers for a while so I haven't had the opportunity to reply...

Peter,

I really like the Honda 2HP 4-stroke.  It's a long shaft.  I like it because it is light (28 pounds I think) and not too noisy.  I only intend to use it when I don't have wind (a common situation in the summer here).  With NO wind at all it will push my boat along at 5 mph with the throttle in the "Start" position (about 1/3 throttle).  At that setting I can still have a conversation.  more throttle gets me a little more speed but I don't think it's worth the noise.

Phil,

I hope you enjoyed your sail :)  I'll check out the link.