The death of a cheap boat

Andrew_Butchart

I built a One Sheet Skiff in 2001 in part as an exercise in how long a cheaply built boat would last. Now I know - it's about 5 years.

I pulled the tarps off the boats this past weekend and this is what I found.

oss_rot1.gifoss_rot2.gif

oss_rot3.gif

The boat was built with bathroom underlay, white poplar (the cheap stuff) for gunwales and chine logs, glued with PL premium. For coating, I just applied latex paint. Last year I had some delamination of the plywood on the bottom which I just patched with body filler.

The boat cost about $150cdn to build, about 1/3 for the wood and the rest for body filler, paint and glue with lots left over.

I doubt that I'll try to patch it up although this is my kids favourite boat. I do need to figure out how to dispose of it as the dump charges for painted wood and won't let me toss it on the burn pile.

http://www.floatingbear.ca/OneSheetSkiff.htm

I understand how you must feel. My PK78, my first stich & glue and first boat in 25 years, is now at the point of needing a refitting. I am wondering whether it is worth the time and money and must decide that question. Your boat may be salvegable (spelling??). :)

Sorry I disagree, if that's your kid's favorite boat then fix it up for them, as long as it's safe. Then while you're messing about with your kids in their favorte boat you could ask them what kind of boat they would like next as this one is about done......but that's just me

Actually I'm figuring on building another Mouse (or maybe two). They're starting to get a bit tall for the One Sheet Skiff and the smaller mice take about the same amount of materials and effort.

And yes - thost are mushrooms on the boat. I had a couple on the keel strip of the Cheap Canoe as well where it had been beaten up a fair bit. I'm planning on cutting out the rotted section there and replacing it as the rest of that boat is in pretty good shape still.

Fortunately the mouse and the sailing pirogue which were stored in the same place have nothing growing on them.

I agree with the drill holes in bum fill with soil and plants and plant in a nice spot in the garden 8) ... why? cause thats where Canoeythingy resides! my simple 16 hour instead of 6 hour canoe combo with other plans off the net ply canoe... We had 3 brilliant years with her and probably would have made 5 if she hadnt taken to flying of the roof rack halfway between Perth and Kalgoorlie :roll:

When tossing up weather to fix or garden her I took in the 3 years of fun for the hoons the ease of making it (one weekend) and compared that to the possibility of an endless supply of strawberries and decided I like strawberries... A LOT!! so she became our strawberry patch! and a fine job she does too 8)

Way I figure it 3 years of constant use by 8 kids and their freinds mates and partners as well as me along with surviving a move and several trips to the goldfields on top of a car never covered never cared for is a bloody good life for a weekend canoe... and if the hoons tell me they want anothery its a simple matter of a couple of sheets of ply some pine strips and some silicone and screws along with a touch of paint and bobs yer uncle easy as! :wink:

Give it to the garden creatures

Sorry I disagree' date=' if that's your kid's favorite boat then fix it up for them, as long as it's safe. Then while you're messing about with your kids in their favorte boat you could ask them what kind of boat they would like next as this one is about done......but that's just me[/quote']

Ken, which thing previously posted do you disagree with? I like your idea, just couldn't put it into context.