Whats in a Name

mjname

Well I have to have my baby done by Sunday! The 3 bedroom beach unit that I have taken over is getting rented out for a kings ransom. :D Unfortunately I don't share in that ransom :cry:

but how many people do you know that get a spare bedroom to build S11N that over looks the beach!

I have everything completed I set out to get done except for the seats. I have the stringers partially in... but thats it. Will try and finish them at summers end. I can sit on a cushion until then. To make her unsinkable I will tie some fenders on her.

I just finished glassing the outside of her. Not glassing the inside. Tomorrow I start painting. I'm using a simple white urethane one part epoxy. I know that cheap stuff but it's what I have. I've resigned myself to her just being a good utility skiff, with the option of making her sail later.

So here are the names I can't decide on

Swan-son =because she is all white like a swan or at 20 foot away she looks glamorous

The Teresa = after a friends mom who is dying of lung cancer, nice thought but I think the boat would make me a little sad.

Mini Titanic = friends who were here visiting have named her this and after the assembling the pieces wrong and having to dart in filler pieces I was almost sunk.

Molly Brown - she was a socialite on the titanic and was referred to as the unsinkable Molly Brown.

I'm leaning towards Molly Brown unless someone suggests something else.

post-1177-129497658187_thumb.jpg

post-1177-129497658195_thumb.jpg

post-1177-1294976582_thumb.jpg

Molly Brown is good, but given the error in building and the excellent recovery how about:

"Whoops"

"Second Coming"

"Revividus"

"Indefatigable"

or my favourite given the Swallows and Amazons association-

"Death and Glory"

Peter HK :lol:

I like coming and going too!

A friend said well the new dinghy will be stowed on the bow of Tranquility

so how about Inner Piece, with inner on the front half that fits in the rear Piece of the S11N?

I should have her launced by tomorrow and will update photo's. I think I will know when I sit in her and row a bit or motor.

I've painted her all white so I may be back to "Swan" the last dinghy an 8 foot squarish thing with wheels was called "Duck".

Have a great day fellows and thanks for the input.

Good suggestions all around. In the end, its the name that means the most to you that matters.

I always wanted to name a boat after my wife, but she will not have it. She enjoys boats as much as I do, and thinks it egotistical to name a boat after herself. Somehow she's forgotten they are MY boats. ;)

Frank,

I got the same response when I suggesting naming the Bluejacket 24 after Liz. She normally names all the boats I build for birds. Loon, Merlin, Harbinger, Rooster, Birder, Chirp, Scoter and Lapwing. The last four are Graham's designs. I got to name the Scamp. I let it sit for a while and brought it up now and again during the building of the boat. Finally when she saw that I was serious, she relented and now is proud of both the boat and the thought behind the name. Now calls it the "Liz" boat and couldn't be happier with it.

Stick to your guns and see what happens.

Here is some completed pix, if I don't compare her to any of the other boats on the list I think she is great... just don't look to closely at her chins, there was no fairing compond used, lots of finish mistakes... oh and construction mistakes... but still I think she will make a great little work boat.

post-1177-129497658301_thumb.jpg

post-1177-129497658305_thumb.jpg

I named my CS20 'Jewel' after my wife's grandmother. I liked the name and you can never have too many points with the wife. I just hope that the actual boat, when finished, does justice to the name and the lady it was named after.

I had planned on naming it 'STAR'. It is a term we use at work. It stands for Shit, That An't Right.