Do I have the oldest Stevenson boat still afloat??

John Weigandt

I have a 1984... or was it 85 model Mini cup... still floats and sails..living in my back yard..

Did everything "wrong"

Polyester resin.... ACX ply.... Construction adhesive from a tube...Latex paint originally.... resin only on the top deck .. no cloth..

Lets see.. it has rip stop nylon from the fabric store for sails, and conduit (heavy stuff) for the spars...

Its still my daughters favorite boat.. after all.. she grew up with it.

John

May be- and I've been told ( by Mike)that I might be one of the oldest builders of a Stevenson boat on these web sites. I built one of the Mediterianian Caqiues from a Dec, 1970 Boating magazine :lol::lol:

Which reminds me- I still haven't mailed a scan of that article to Mike like I promised :oops:

You got me bested Charlie. I have a 1980 P.S. Mini-Cat (Pearl) still in good shape,sitting on the trailor ready to go. Still have the adv.out of Popular Science and the prints, also have the prints for a Cocky Catamaran but not the boat. These plans cost $10 then from Stevenson Profects, Box584, Del Mar, Calif. Oyes the good old days. Bud. :)

Sure would like to see some pictures of the old ones. I've been working on a mini-cup (this will be the second summer). I was so ready to get started on it again, but, facing some back surgery this coming Monday and Doc says can't do much for about 3 months. My wife has been doing about everything around our place for the last two weeks, maybe I can show her how to sand and work with epoxy!!

Hey! Whatbout that Charlie?!? (of course I had sort of let that slip my mind too...It's nice when another person remembers before you do...)

Seriously: We would LOVE to have pics of old boats of anyone's from our plans! I'll post them!

Mr. Weigandt's Mini-Cup sounds like the '80's Queen of the group, certainly (down vest, feathered hair, tight embroidered jeans...Did I just date myself??), but I must say that even I can't remember which one the Cocky Cat was! Now I really would like to see a scan...

Still: Mr. Jones REALLY has it with the Caliban. We don't even have a set of those plans any longer! (Too many of the old designs have been lost, but perhaps it's not really that big a loss to the boating world...time to make new ones!)

I was surprised to see some of our old prototypes still sort of exist at my uncle's place in SoCal. The PC is still there, as are two Mini-Indys, and I think the Sport Sailor (a Mini-Cup clone, but not as good.) I think the Mini-Cat hulls might still be around too...and the old lateen rigs never die (at least the aluminum tubes!)

I'm really glad a few of your boats are still giving service after all these years. (And that the Mini-Cup is Mr. Weigandt's daughter's favorite; it was mine too as I had it near the same age.)

Mike

Mike- I found the magazine article again and now I have a good scanner/copy machine. I'll try to get scans or copies for you later this week- gonna be too hectic until after Thursday.

I wish I still had the boat but that was too far in the wake. I can tell you that I gave it to a friend, who sailed it a few more times and donated it to a Boy Scout group, who mostly used it as a rowing boat. That was over in Florida, I'm now in Texas and have zero idea as to what happened after that.

I do know it raised a lot of eyebrows when we sailed itl :lol: I also had a scale model, but I really don't remember what happened to that either.