Fiberglass fabric?

mjname

I was wondering if anyone could recommend the lightest and cheapest fiberglass cloth or rove that I can get by with using epoxy... I just need to make sure that the fir doesn't check. Really want to keep cost and weight down.

Any tips, tricks or thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

I almost have the interior all taped and ready to ad the knees, then the keel.

I bet if I wasn't working on the floor this would go much better.

Raka used to carry a very tightly woven 5 oz. fiberglass that absorbed about half as much epoxy as 6 oz. I used it with terrific results on a kayak I built, and I was impressed by the weight savings compared to standard 6 oz. cloth.

I heard a rumor they might have discontinued it since there were difficulties getting it to wet out perfectly clear (which was a complaint I heard from many other kayak builders at the time, though mine came out pretty well). Of course, for a sailboat you're planning to paint, the clarity of the wet-out wouldn't be a concern, so it might be worth seeing if they still carry it. I really liked the results I got.

I've heard mixed things about 3.2 oz. silk-weave. At least one guy has told me he used it successfully on fir ply, but my own experience with it leaves me doubtful about how well it would prevent checking. It's very light stuff. Personally, I wouldn't go any lighter than the 4 oz. Charlie recommended.

At least now I have a clue to what to try and find.

I have a membership in a marine cooperative and for them to get me anything I have to know what I am asking for. Also the hardware store next door has limited stuff.

I'm at the end of the cape, so anything not really standard is pretty much an ups order.

Thanks

Matthew