OT - Kidney Transplant in Our Future

Steve Day

Hello All,

I cleared this with Frank, so I'm going to take a moment and update y'all on our status.

My son, John (31 years old), is in acute renal failure and needs a kidney transplant. :( We discovered this about a year ago and have been looking for a suitable donor for the transplant. He is not on dialysis at this time and we think we can keep him off until the transplant takes place.

As we searched for a donor, the group of suitable donors kept shrinking. After all of the dust has settled form the search, I am going to be the donor for the kidney. :shock: John and I have passed all of the compatability and health tests and we are preparing to have the transplant on Friday, May 25. The transplant surgeries will take place at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta. We will be staying there while he and I recover.

Please keep us in your prayers for the transplant to be a success and for both of us to come out of it healthy.

My activities will slow down a bit for the month of June, but I should back to normal by the first of July or so. I should be back on the discussion board sometime after Memorial Day and will let you know how we are doing.

Thanks,

Steve

Thank You, for allowing us to share our love and prayers with you during this time.

May The Lord of all hold you in his hands and bless you with courage and peace as you walk the path he has prepared for his beloved ones, you and your son.

Love to you!

First, Steve, God's best for you and your son. I will be praying for both of you.

Second, Frank, thank you for this forum, and for letting us share this sort of need as well as stuff about boats. We need each other at times like this, and you help make that possible.

Stephen

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think Steve would mind if I provided an update here for his "boat building family". I received this email this morning:

Hello All!

John and I are recovering on the 9th floor of Emory Hospital. I am now about 24 hours out of surgery and have been walking around a bit on the floor. I've been down to John's room and talked to him a couple of times this morning. We saw the doctors on their rounds and they told us his "new" kidney is functiobing very well. He is producing urine and his numbers are near normal as of about 0500 this morning

More to come as I feel better.

Thanks for posting that Frank.

Another update this afternoon. I have walked nearly 1/2 mile in the hallways today and am feeling pretty good. John is still quite dopey and wants to sleep. I think he will be a lot better tomorrow.

I would like to thank all of you in this community for your support and prayers as we are going through this ordeal.

I am hoping to get out of the hospital tomorrow or Monday. Will keep you posted.

Steve

Hello All,

We took this photo of John and me on the hiking trail yesterday near the Chattahoochee River at Johnson's Ferry. We hiked about 1-1/2 miles on the one-week anniversary of the transplant surgeries.

Pretty Cool, Huh? 8)

We wish to thank all of you for the support and prayers during our surgery & recovery. We still have a good way to go, but we are a lot better already.

BTW, John's new kidney (my old one) is doing well in its new home and fully functioning.

Steve

Hello All' date='

We took this photo of John and me on the hiking trail yesterday near the Chattahoochee River at Johnson's Ferry. We hiked about 1-1/2 miles on the one-week anniversary of the transplant surgeries.

Pretty Cool, Huh? 8)

[/quote']

Way cool, as the kids would say. Maybe I need to have a kidney removed .... I don't think I could walk 1 1/2 miles with both of mine! ;)