Cabin Roof problems

Joel

I have the rough cut cabin roof panel temporarily installed on my weekender. There is a very odd compound curve between the first roof beam and the center bulkhead. The curve at the top of the center bulkhead starts out the same as the roof beam but changes gradually ending up up about 1/2" higher at hatch. At first I thought it was OK, but the more I look at it doesn't seem right.

I will post some pictures later. My camera battery is charging.

joel

OK I got a picture of the "problem" I took about 5 pictures and these are the only ones that really shows what I am talking about. I have looked at a lot of weekender pictures but I don't think I ever saw the roof curve up like this from the bulkhead to the roof beam.

http://groups.msn.com/JoelsWeekenderSite/construction.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=211

http://groups.msn.com/JoelsWeekenderSite/construction.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=210

Joel it looks like the arch is too flat on the center beam. Lay a stiff batten from the aft edge of the hatch opening straight to the front of the roof and see how much variation you have in the curve. If too much rework the center beam. If not too much install oversize hatch rails and plane them down until they are true. Next build the hatch so it will follow the curve of the roof on the rails. Don't forget the stop water at the front of the hatch opening has to be protected by the hatch cover when in the closed position. It doesn't took too bad inthe photos. Let us know how it works out....

Craig, I tried a batten across the length of the roof. It is flat from the front to the center. From the center back there is about a 4" section that has a 3/16 - 1/4" gap.

The funny thing is when you lay a batten across the beams and bulkhead with no roof panel attached it lays flat.

joel

Joel, use oversize runners for the hatch cover, say 1/2" too tall. When attached run a straight edge from the rear top edge to front top edge of the runner and mark a line on the inside of the rail where you can get a full line run front to back. Do the same on the other side at the same height from the roof. Plane down to the line and both will be fair and true. Seal with three light coats of epoxy on the runner edge. Paint or finish to taste. Now make the cover match the runners. Put the stop water ~ 2" in front of the hatch cut out about 3/8 to 7/16" high. Make the cover to ride the rails with the aft(cockpit) edge meeting the door boards and the front end stopping at the stop water or just before. Put stop blocks on the rails to keep the aft end of the cover from slamming into the stop water. Inner hatch rafters must be trimmed to clear the stop water. Your hatch must be made to fit the boat with all measurements taken from the existing structure. Do this and you will never see the variation. Can't see it on mine can you?? :lol: Happy building Joel.

Odd. Must be a fairly common problem. I had similar at one point, with one side being more pronounced. I kind of over rode the problem by cutting away the cabin roof to the forward beam and putting in coamings for my semi-slot top. Not the normal solution, I guess.

DocA

Craig, Thanks for the detailed explanation. This is one area of the boat I'm still not clear on. I have studied pictures of companion ways and hatches in various books. Most seem too complicated for the weekender. I really don't care for the method shown in the plans. I don't like the idea of the hatch cover sliding directly on the cabin roof.

Doc, I like your slot top idea. I did consider doing this at one time. I figured I better keep moving forward without any changes if I am ever going to get done.

joel

Joel you ae very welcome. The main hatch is a weak link in this design. I don't like the way it is done either but so far have not came upon anything better that is not way over kill. Kieth made his differently but I have not looked closely at it. I am redoing my cover again now where the ends want to split.

• 2 weeks later...

Roland, After looking at it for a while I decided it wasn't a big problem. I did trim the angle on the companion way bulkhead a little. When I glued the top down I did not snug up the last few screws all the way. It looks ok to me. I posted a link to 5 new pictures on my other topic "Island Girl Progress"

Thanks , joel