Southern Skimmer's position

Designer

Some folks - for what ever reason, have not been able to follow the gps tracking link, so I'll post Graham's position and relay any telephone reports here on this thread...

Their position around midnight was 14.45 mi west of Cape Coral - or more exactly 26 41.246N and 82 13.682W.

I spoke to Graham when they were leaving check point (CP) 1. He said they had had rough seas at the start - a sudden 180 change in wind plus tide conditions made a big lumpy sea and lots of wind. Then they found a nice doldrum to hang around in for awhile. As expected the inside boats made it to CP1 first - but most of the paddlers stop for the night. They had a pretty good day, but since they are also shaking down the boat, they are engaged of lots of little adjustments etc... Many jobs in rigging were not tested and are requiring tweeking. but hey they made it into the race - not bad for a boat just started on December 1st!

the guys 12:54 Position was 12.6 Miles SE of Marco so they have gotten around a corner so to speak.

25d 48.764N

25d 34.481W

I still have no phone word from Graham and Randy to report. I tried to call a couple of times earlier today and left one message for them. They may be out of cell range now. There is a BIG blank spot out there. Not as bad as in years past, due to a new tower - but still a lot of uncovered cell territory down there from what I hear. I shall relay informtion as soon as I hear from them. As long as their position indicates they are moving well we can all relax.

oops, sorry for that error on my last posting...and sorry for not posting after John wrote in - had a glitch with my provider yestersay - in and out signal..Iposted a positionand did ot reaslize it never got in! But I hope you all realize the guys were tired formthe race and they had so much speed, they took a little side vacation to The Canary Islands (actually one of Graham's favorite places!)

anyway... as most of you know the guys got in to CP3 early ours this morning and are now crossing FL Bay 10:00 position on gps was:

25deg 6,672 N X 89deg 47.21 W 21.6 miles W. of Key Largo.

They are on target o break last years time by many hours. But - with the treacherous shoals of the Bay, even as it seems to be about to happen - I will wait til they get in in order to count my chickens! My next report should be their final arrival :D

Results from watertribes:

0 Days' date=' 12 Hours, 46 Min

1 Days, 9 Hours, 30 Min

1 Days, 20 Hours, 30 Min

2 Days, 8 Hours, 56 Min

Ed[/quote']

If I've done the math correctly:

Elapsed Times

1h 05m slower to CP1 compared to 2006

0h 15m faster to CP2 compared to 2006

12h 46m faster to CP3 compared to 2006

9h 4 m faster to CP4 compared to 2006

751 minutes faster from CP2 to CP3 compared to 2006.

222 minutes slower from CP3 to finish compared to 2006

This is no reflection on the crew or boat as if you followed the hourly tracks the conditions appeared to lighten significantly on leg 4.

I can't help but be amazed at the 12.5 hours difference between last year and this on leg 3. It must have been once heck of a ride last night.

Can't wait to hear the story from Graham.

Congratulations!

-- Leo

Disclaimer - mayhap my maths aren't quite correct. Forgive me if I've not done base 60 very well. :shock: