"Island Girl" progress

Joel

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted 5 new pictures on my MSN site Click next to see them all. The rails are not mounted just sitting in place. I am still trying to figure out a better way to slid the hatch without getting too complicated.

http://groups.msn.com/JoelsWeekenderSite/construction.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=218

joel

Great progress! You might make that May date after all. :)

Me? SWMBO decided it's time for another remodel...... I opened up an interior door and re-worked the hardwood flooring and threshold yesterday. "I didn't know there was so much involved!" Hmmmm, weren't you right here by my side when I laid the flooring the first time?? :lol: :roll:

Me? SWMBO decided it's time for another remodel...... I opened up an interior door and re-worked the hardwood flooring and threshold yesterday. "I didn't know there was so much involved!" Hmmmm' date=' weren't you right here by my side when I laid the flooring the first time?? :lol: :roll:[/quote']

Speaking of which, didn't you use bamboo flooring? How do you like it now that you've lived on it a while?

Me? SWMBO decided it's time for another remodel...... I opened up an interior door and re-worked the hardwood flooring and threshold yesterday. "I didn't know there was so much involved!" Hmmmm' date=' weren't you right here by my side when I laid the flooring the first time?? :lol: :roll:[/quote']

Speaking of which, didn't you use bamboo flooring? How do you like it now that you've lived on it a while?

That is what I had to add to and modify. We have had it in place for about 3 years now. I am happy with it. Some claims say that it is harder than Maple, but it isn't. It will dent, but I don't think it dents any worse than Oak.

I like the color an look of it. It is also engineered (3 layers glues together) so it is very stable. All of the pices are perfectly straight, which makes installation easier than solid Oak, for instance.

Price and eco friendly were teh main thing that drew me to Bamboo. It has only gone up slightly in price over the past few years. There are many exotic engineered woods out there now for really good prices, but most are not solid (very thick veneer laid on a substrate), typiaclly totalling less than 1/2" in total thickness. Bamboo is solid (though three layers) 5/8". This makes it nice when you have to customize a piece to fit. I had to rip a piece the other day and re-mill the dado. It wasn't a problem. I also made a few pieces of custom trim adn routed it to the profile I wanted.

It cuts different than wood. You have to think about what teh saw blade is doing, as it can leave the fiberes hangin when you are done. It can 'chip' also, depending upon how you are cutting (basically tears teh fibers on the surface loose).

I am still very happy with it. Nice color, the grain pattern is interesting, but not overwhelming. Normal 'patina' in the form of small scatches here and there, that can be expected with any floor. We wear shoes in and out and still it isn't showing any excessive wear. The biggest scratches were from my daughters dogs, who came tearing through the house three years ago, the day after I finished installation. Let's say I was less than amused. ;) If you have dogs, it will scratch (acually it's a dent), but so will oak and others.

Now I have to go clean the shop, again.... ;)

I pulled my Weekender out of the garage for the first time since it went 3D. Wow what a different perspective. The furthest I could see it from in the garage was about 4'.

I put a 10' 4x4 in the mast box. The angle looks a little severe to me. :? What do you think?

2 new pictures

http://groups.msn.com/JoelsWeekenderSite/construction.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=225

joel

Impossible to tell with the angle that the boat is setting. At rest in the water, the bottom of the boat at the bow and the transom are reversed. The transom sits higher than the bottom of the boat at the bow.

The only way to tell for certain is to measure the angle at the front of the mast box to the bottom.

The angle at the front of the mast box to the bottom should be 93 degrees. If it is more than that......well, we'll just have to work on it. So rather than guessing, measure it. :lol:

If it is more then we just make a modified bent tabernacle to bring it back upright.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I finally finished the glass on the deck.

Time for the the roll over:

I warped the center part of the hull with styrofoam to protect it. Tipped the boat to almost vertical with my floor jack. I then rigged a line with 2 of the blocks I bought for the mainsheet, to keep it from going over too fast (see the pictures) Then I had a friend give it a push. I let it down easy with the line. No lifting! Then I tried to act like I wasn't surprised when everything went just the way I thought it would (a very rare occurence!)

10 new pictures , click next at the top of the page to see them all

http://groups.msn.com/JoelsWeekenderSite/construction.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=230

joel

• 1 month later...

Well my May finishing date came and went. My weekender is still under construction. I AM making progress, I have the bottom glassed and coated with epoxy. Working on sanding and prepping for paint now.

Here is a link to a PDF data sheet for some paint I'm considering. After doing a lot of research. I decided that I want to use an oil based paint over a latex primer. I will use Zinser Bullseye 123. I really like this primer. I used it on the inside and it worked great.

http://www.parkerpaint.com/PageMill_Resources/DataPDF/4250atds.pdf

Check out the PDF and let me know what you think

thanks, joel

• 2 weeks later...

The Bullseye Primer is great stuff.Ā  I think its alcohol and shellac based, so it works well as a tie coat between things like epoxy and other paints.Ā 

But if you're concerned at all about adhesion, you can always do an "adhesion test" with an Exacto knife and cellophane tape.Ā  Make a series of cuts through the primer at 90 degrees to each other and about 1/8" apart to form a checkerboard or hatch pattern, then put the cellophane tape over it, burnish it down, and rip it off ... if the primer comes off, you have an adhesion problem.

Frank, The Zizsser "123"Ā  is a water based product. The Zinsser "B-I-N" is the shellac based product. I used the water based product on the interior surfacers that had been coated with epoxy. The adhesion was very good. It is a high build primer, it dries quickly and sands nicely if you let it dry for a couple of days. Its not recommended for under water, but then I haven't seen may things that are. Even most of the good boat paints and primers say they are not for below the waterline. I know some builders have use Kilz 2 successfully. This is also a water based product which I think is very similar

I wish I would have done the adhesion test before I switched to the zinsser primer. My original primer scrapped off very easily. I ended up scraping and resanding the lazarette. Since then I have always washed down with water before and after sanding. That seems to help.

Keep in mind I am not recommending any these products until I put my boat in the water. Then we shall see ;)

joel

• 2 months later...

Paintedvga001.jpg

Paintedvga002.jpg

Paintedvga003.jpg

Its been a while since I posted and progress pictures so I figured I would try these. I got the boat back on the cart this morning so I could get it out into the sun. The green paint is drying slowly I thought a little sun might help

joel

http://picasaweb.google.com/jsacho/SVIslandGirl