"Island Girl" progress

Joel

We finally settled on a name for our Weekender. We will call her "Island Girl" We hope to launch in late May. I posted some progress pictures on my MSN site. I have been working on the inside finishing up painting and wiring details. I know it seems a little backwards and I should probably be concentrating on finishing up the hull but... I just cant see myself going back at the end to do these things. I was hard enough with one of the sides off. I think crawling in and out of the finished cabin would have taken 3 times as long. I should be back working on the cockpit next week.

We went to Whidbey Island to visit Barry & Jody a few weeks ago. We had a great lunch at a waterfront restaurant and got a chance to visit and look at "Spirt Wind". This will be one beautiful Weekender, Barry has put a lot of attention on small details. It will be one of a kind for sure :!:

http://groups.msn.com/JoelsWeekenderSite/construction.msnw?Page=5

joel

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to start picking out the CD's to go sailing with Joel. This is going to be one rockin' Weekender. Between now and end of May, I've got a lot to do to finish up for a launch with Joel. I'm a little envious, he has this nice big, warm, workshop and all the time he wants now to get it done.

It is going to be one very nice boat with some really interesting and a little different fabrication ideas employed. We're really looking forward to getting all of us out on the water together for our own Pacific Northwest Messabout, clam bake and crab feed. 8)

Ahoy' date='

Joel, what a fine boat! Everything looks very clean and well done.

Say, now about this mess-about you folks are planning, maybe we could come up that way once our own boat is finished?

That seafood and scenery sound pretty good.[/quote']

This sounds like a dandy idea! Now to get Joel and Barry finished. ;)

Thanks guys, I think I am still on track for a late May (I know I may have said this once or twice before) I am working on the boat every day now. I have my trailer and motor on order, and I just got word yesterday that my sails will ship this week. No turning back now!

Sure a lot to think about as the details pile up. Mast, bowsprit, rudder, hatch covers, rigging. Wow, I better not think about it. Just need to concentrate on finishing the hull.

It would be great if Jim could come up to the PNW. "The more the merrier" I just hope we don't lose Captain Jake to the power boaters. That's one good looking project he is working on!!

joel

I figure he can function as the photo boat. Time to get some really good Pacific Northwest sailing photos for the forum. He can dart around and get those beam reach photos that are so difficult to get from a boat trying to run alongside under sail.

Besides, he can run back for more ice while we're sailing. :roll:

Ahoy,

This all sound delightful; good boats, good sailing and a chance to make some new friends while renewing an old friendship as well. Not sure that we can make it this May, but if we cannot, another month and time will do just as well.

Yes, Barry is right. The power boat would make a good photo boat. What a fantastic finish that boat has! A photo of the deck in the foreground with a sailboat in the background would be fantastic. If we're fortunate we might even have a whale in the photo as well.

I almost forgot to mention a good cup of coffee. You have some good coffee up that way, and remarkable vegetables and fruits! The seafood's not shoddy either. Sounds good to me.

• 4 weeks later...

I got the roof glued on and trimmed to fit I used a small pull saw and 50 grit sand paper to trim it up I have a tendency to screw things up with the belt sander so I did it manually :D

Here are 5 pictures. Click next to see the rest

http://groups.msn.com/JoelsWeekenderSite/construction.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=212

joel

Jake, I am still shooting for the end of May. I have my sails, trailer, and motor. I ordered all the parts for the rigging last week. The only materials I still need are:

Mast, bowsprit, boom, gaff, rubrails. I priced this stuff yesterday at Gray Lumber in Tacoma. They have everything. They may even be able to get 16' Doug Fir 1x2's for the rub rails. That would be great, no scafs.

Oh yeah, I will need more epoxy for the glass.

This is starting to get expensive :!: :roll:

This is starting to get expensive

DUhhh. ;) I mean that in a nice way! :) I have to remind myself how expensive boats are every couple of years. ;) I have been afraid to tally the total onthe runabout. I am guessing that it is about $4000.

I have some epoxy on hand if that will help you, I will sell it to you for what I paid for it.

Olympia Wooden Boat Fair in May! ;):)

Good to hear from you Barry. We were wondering where you been. I hope you are still on track to launch this summer!

Doug, I usually clean up the shop at the end of the day. The nice thing about my garage is , it has overhead doors on both ends. All I have to do is pick up the big pieces and the rest I blow out the door with my leaf blower. :D

This is starting to get expensive

DUhhh. ;) I mean that in a nice way! :) I have to remind myself how expensive boats are every couple of years. ;) I have been afraid to tally the total onthe runabout. I am guessing that it is about $4000.

I have some epoxy on hand if that will help you' date=' I will sell it to you for what I paid for it.

Olympia Wooden Boat Fair in May! ;):)[/quote']

OK, I ruined my day....... I totaled the cost of this renocation, and it is not to what I would call showroom standards at all. $6200! Inclusive of the trailer, motor, sandpaper, etc. :(

Doug, I got my plywood at Plytac in Tacoma. It is mainly a wholesale place but they will sell retail as well. I am using Douglas Fir , but they have lots of other kinds. Here is a link to their website. Look under industrial products for marine ply

http://www.plytac.com/PlyTac?command=Home

Jake, I have a box in my shop where I've saved every Weekender related receipt since day 1. I have never added them up. Don't know if I ever will. It's getting pretty full, does that mean I'm almost done :?: :lol:

joel